• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Have you made a.....

MikeinWA

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Have you made a whiskey or bourbon Porter before?  If so, then what would you have done differently?  What did you do well?

I have seen several people post questions on this beer and  I wanted to make a high gravity version.  I have an idea how I want to do it but would like to hear the input of those who have made it or want to make it.

I have added bourbon to a porter twice at bottling, just to have a 2nd entry for comps.  Took about 10% to be noticeable. 

If I was doing a whole batch, I think I would add the bourbon at secondary so as not to kill the yeast and mess up fermentation.

That was my plan.  From what I have read the whiskey is added right before bottling or kegging.  Lightly roasted oak chips are added during the secondary.

1 1/2  to 2 cups of whiskey or bourbon per 5 gal.  The oak chips need to be added near the end of the secondary and tasted frequently to make sure it does not add too much smoke flavor.

That's about it.  I was hoping for more people that had made this type of beer in either a stout or porter.  I plan on making the porter about 9%.  Should be at least a year for the flavors to really blend.  At least that was the case for my barleywine.

Back