• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Storing your Mash Tun

DaveinPa

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch 3 weeks ago and am about to brew my next.  I pulled the Igloo out of the closet and opened the lid to rinse it out ahead of time and - Whoa!!  It smells bad.  I rinsed it thouroughly and wiped it down with Clorox water to kill any bacteria prior to putting it away.  That doesn't seem to have worked too well.

I've filled it with hot water and Straight A and then I'll hit it with Star San later.

What do you folks do to prevent this?

Dave,
  I always leave the top off when storing coolers. I learned this from camping. Then give it a good cleaning before reusing it.

My Coleman Xtreme cooler mash tun is always stored closed, often in high temps and always smells OK. The only time it ever smells funky is if I leave spent grain in it (and you haven't lived until you've opened a cooler full of ripe grain that has been "maturing" for a couple weeks in an uninsulated garage during a California summer  ;) )

Are you sure there are no leftovers hiding in your manifold or screen or whatever?

I always drip dry my Coleman Xtreme for a couple of days and make sure it's super-dry, then store it closed.

Haven't had a problem, even in Oregon -  where ANYTHING will mold if you're not careful!!!!!!

I had completely disassembled it and rinsed it thouroughly.  I use a stainless steel mesh hose rather than a false bottom.  It could be there is some that got stuck in it.  Maybe I can try storing them hanging upsidedown with the lids off.  If I get it again after today's brew I may use it as a good excuse to get a false bottom.  ::)

So I pulled the stainless hose apart and found a few wet grains lodged in it.  I sanitized everthing and this time, in addition to disconnecting the hose and washing thouroughly, I left the lid off for a full week after the last brew to dry it all out.  It still smells of grain but in a good way - like the grain pail smells on the way home from the LHBS.  No more stinky feet smell  ;D.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

;D mine gets a little funky at times I just use hot water and white vinegar to clean it out and than soap and water and let air dry. Smells like a new cooler after that.

I have never cleaned mine.  I just rinse it out. And let it set open on its side.

jomebrew said:
I have never cleaned mine.  I just rinse it out. And let it set open on its side.
+1 I give mine a thorough rinse and wipe with a soft rag. Rinse one more time, and store with the lid off. My tun in now over 3 years old ( 20 - 40 batches), and I haven't had any problems.

spray it out. run a batch of iodophor through, let it dry.  no problem.

SOGOAK said:
spray it out. run a batch of iodophor through, let it dry.  no problem.

If sanitization is desired, this will work but will stain, so be aware.

I no longer use a mash tun because I BIAB but I used to scrub it, rinse it and let it air dry. Later on I followed that by filling the mash tun with about a half inch of used StarSan. I would close it up the best I could and (Shake, shake, shake). The foam covered the sides a cracks. I drained the (cooler) through the spigot and then kept it closed.

Now we use it to keep things cool with ice packs. Who knew you could use a mash tun for that?

Jome-I know Iodophor is supposed to stain, but i really havent had any to speak of. I'd guess darker grist has done more of that.  Ye Olde Denny Brew Cheap and Easy has made hundreds of gallons and still viable.

Back