• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop utilization options?

Yeasty

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So, I really think this is a great idea. I'm coming up with a recipe for a really big beer (see Rx forum) and in order to up my utilization I'm putting the invert sugar in at 10 min to flame out. So to get a closer calculation of IBU's, I deleted the sugar, wrote down all the individual IBU's for each addition, except for the 10 min addition, put in the sugar and recorded the 10 min addition's IBU contribution, then added.
It would be SWEET if you could put some kind of time factor in the extracts and sugars, that would factor in the hop utilization on the fly.
I know some people add extracts later in the boil, for lighter color, etc., and this would be great for them as well.
I know absolutely nothing about programming, so I can't even begin to grasp whether this is an easy thing or not.
But the difference in my final calculation was QUITE noticeable, and basically made the previous figure worthless.
What do you think, Brad?
Taylor

Taylor,
 This has been on my "to do" list for some time.  I intend to allow for late additions of extracts (including a time) and I guess I should add sugars to that as well.

It is a little complex (there are three hops formulas, and you also need to do the inverse of each in order to adjust bitterness), but I have been playing with the equations.  Unfortunately I just did not have enough time to complete it for V1.3.

It is near the top of the list for the next version.

Cheers!
Brad

Awesome. It's easy enough to work around;just thought it would be yet another slick addition.
I'm already looking forward to the next version! ;D

[Not what a programmer likes to hear one week after release, I'm sure!]

Back