• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Filtering the beer at kegging time.

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello All!
I was wondering if anyone has done some filtering of the finished product just before kegging and carbonation.
Any particular equipment or filters are good or better?
On the web, I found numerous places talking about using a simple water filter and force the beer from one keg to the other with CO2.
I've been looking at the filters.
It sounds like 1 micron is a generally accepted size.
Paper, pleated polyester, carbon.  What type of filter works best?
Any thoughts on whether one should or shouldn't filter beer?
I'll tell you my main reason for trying to filter the beer.
I am allergic to yeast.  I know, bummer.
But I love to make and drink it, so I suffer a little by sneezing, etc.
I was wondering if filtering would help eliminate some yeast.
We don't really need the yeast if we are kegging with CO2.
Any thoughts?
Thanks ...
Bob

I have used the beer plate filter ( white ) used for beer and wine,,,did a bells two hearted ,,,two different yeast strains,SO4 and wyeast 001,,,it was more fruity but not by much,,,I like the so4 better it was a bit dryer which i liked better for me ,This was a 10 gal batch size split in two ,,,,I used a coarse which i think is better on the So4 beer and medium filter on the Wyeast 001 ,,, the medium filter took two much away from the beer (body) hops was like at first but came back after couple days ,,, I don't think i will ever use the medium again .....
John

Folks I know who have filtered use 1 micron.  Larger risks not filtering the yeast. 

You will also reduce the body and hop profile.  You should plan to adjust the recipe to account to these reductions. 

You can lager or clarify your beer to achieve the same results.  The yeast will eventually precipitate to the bottom of the keg.  It takes about three weeks of conditioning at around 40f. YMMV.

This past year or so BYO published an article contrasting mechanical filtering vs. cold filtering. It's a good read if you can find it.  Cold filtering requires the ability to hold the brew in low 30's for about 11 days.  I can attest that this works very well if you have the means.  I have not tried using filtering equipment.

Cheers

I'm lazy.  I leave beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks (sometimes longer)  My basement is cold so I get great crashing already.  Then I rack carefully.  If I leave the keg for 5-7 days, by the 3rd pint it is brilliantly clear.

I have never filtered my beer before kegging.  I was careful siphoning from the secondary and after a few pints the little bit of yeast left on the bottom of the keg was not disturbed by the pour any longer.  It was suprisingly clear.  I do use whirfloc the last 15min of the boil, though.

Unless your beer is coming out of the keg cloudly for the whole batch, I would not spend the money on a filtering system.

Just my 2 cents.

I did a post on using a simple plate filter if you're interested in seeing how it works.
http://www.hoptomology.com/2011/06/02/how-to-filter-your-beer-using-a-plate-filter/
it's pretty simple and works sufficiently well, especially if you're impatient like me and want to get into your latest batch! ha,ha
cheers! Jeff

If you're kegging, use a spare keg as a bright tank.  Crash it, and add a little bio-fine, or similar and you wont need to filter. 

I concur with the no filter group. It's all about letting your beer secondary for an appropriate amount of time, and taking care during racking. My keg beer is always crystal clear, and bottled beer has the tiniest amount of sediment on the bottom. I have a friend that brews at a brew store, where everything is filtered, and he thinks we're barbarians for drinking unfiltered beer. Until he's thirsty, then he has no problem with it.

I don't filter. The reason I don't is two fold. One, it's more work! Two, filtering out the flavor is whats happening. Yeast is a good way of getting your vitamins. Why filter it out? If your brewing for a competition than clarity is important for some judges. Brew a stronger brew and filter away!

Back