• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you add a Partial Mash to my Mash Profile?

R

RobertSF

I set my type to Partial Mash but don't know how to add the Mash Profile.

I typically take 1.25 qt's of water per pound using 2.5 - 3 lbs of grain. I get the water to 155° then add the grain. I hold this temp for 90 minutes, then sparge using 1.25 quarts per lb.

I then add water to make 2.5 gallons bring to a boil then add my extract, bring that to a boil then start my hop schedule and timing of the boil.

Do I make this a one step Temp mash with my temp at 155. My step time at 90 minutes and my rinse at 20 minutes, which is how long my sparge usually takes?

Robert,

If you want to add a mash profile to a recipe - just pick the "Choose" button in the "Mash" section of your recipe  Note that your recipe type must be "All grain" or "Partial mash" for this to appear.

The best thing to do to match your preferred profile would be to create your own custom mash profile in the "Mash Profiles" database, and then you can just apply that to any recipe you happen to be brewing by using the "Choose" button.

Here's a tutorial, though under the new version you can also enter your water/grain ratio directly which makes it actually a bit easier to build your profile.
 http://www.beersmith.com/Help/using_mash_profiles.htm

Cheers!
Brad

Back