• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Efficiency into Boiler over 100%?

Grumpyowl

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,
I brewed a partial mash yesterday.  My pre-boil gravity was estimated at 1.116 for 3 gallons of boil bolume and 65% BE.
After adding all the extracts, my temperature-corrected SG reading was 1.131, which I think is an efficiency around 73%.
When I enter these number in the Efficiency Detail window of BeerSmith, the Efficiency into Boiler is calculated to be 109.95%, which looks suspicious...
Anything I might be missing here?  Any insights greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi,
  For partial mash it is hard to get really accurate efficiency numbers since the malt extract tends to dominate your original gravity for the brew and often throws off the efficiency calculation for the much smaller contribution of the partial mash itself.

One thing that will help you get more accurate numbers is to make sure you are also measuring volumes, as these will significantly affect your final numbers.  Also make sure you have the appropriate numbers for your extract - from the manufacturer's web site if possible.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad, this makes sense.
I appreciate the tips.
Great software.
Cheers!
Olivier

Back