• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley Crusher

DaveinPa

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm planning to make my own barley crusher from aluminum plate and stainless bar stock.  I've studied the pictures I've found on the web a bit and I think I understand how they are constructed.  I think the roller gap adjustment comes from rotating the bronze bearings on one of the rollers, which have the shaft hole offset from center in them.  Can someone who has one confirm this or fill me in on where I'm wrong?

Uh...  sure?!  I for one, would like to see it when your done.  As far as suggestions... ???

Well, here is where I am at so far. 

pieces.jpg

Not much, but its a start.  If I get time this weekend I am going to turn the rolls on my lathe.

DaveinPa said:
I'm planning to make my own barley crusher from aluminum plate and stainless bar stock.  I've studied the pictures I've found on the web a bit and I think I understand how they are constructed.  I think the roller gap adjustment comes from rotating the bronze bearings on one of the rollers, which have the shaft hole offset from center in them.  Can someone who has one confirm this or fill me in on where I'm wrong?

My instructions say to loosen the philips screews A then turn the rollers B to adjust.  B is the fixed position roller.  Except when adjusting it then it is not so fixed of course.

Back