• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lactose ferments?!

Yeasty

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey Brad. Your lactose shows up in the SG as having fermented. Is there an easy way to fix it?

Well,
 This one was a bit of a toss up.  Lactose does contribute to the original gravity, so I was reluctant to put it in the "Misc" category of ingredients.

However, since it does contribute to OG, then it ends up feeding into the "Estimated FG" which is based on yeast attenuation and not really knowledgable of the ingredients used.

Also, the Estimated FG is really only a guess, since so many other factors enter into it - such as mash temperature, fermentation conditions, ingredients used, etc...

So - I'm not sure how to easily resolve this short of making a special case for the "Lactose" ingredient so it raises the FG estimate.

Cheers!
Brad

i am currently going through this problem as well. just posted a new topic and sent you (brad) a PM about this. being that lactose is non fermentable it should not affect the ABV at all, but does boost gravity. so i am trying to be able to know what OG i will be shooting for, and i also want to keep the overall beer at a certain ABV. my sweet stout is set at 6% right now..so if it is not going to end up at 6% i just want to know how much extra 2-row i should add to my recipe, and yet still aiming for the given OG..pretty confusing i know!

Back