• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using dry hopped aroma hops in another batch for bittering?

harlanhu28

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this, and should I change the IBU formula? I want to use these in a new batch at 90,60 and 30.. Can I or is it a waste of time?

The reason I am asking is they are leaf Amarillo hops and I used 3OZ for dry hopping in a 10 gallon batch in a bag.. As we all know Amarillo is very hard to find now! Thanks for the help

I would fear some vegetal off-flavor from the soaking wet hops. 

I see Maltlickers point and assume the same.  However, it makes sense that it "might" work. Try it and let us know. Until I start growing hops; it is good to conserve those 3$ ounces! Seriously, if you can use a dry-hop bunch for bitering in another batch --huge idea! Thanks

Had the problem of no Amarillo last time I went to make an IPA... Might be a good idea, never know unless you try. Let me know how it turns out!

I agree on trying them in the first addition as most of the compounds will have been removed by the alcohol in the beer during the dry hopping process.  There will certainly not be many glands left in the flowers.  Trying them in the first addition will give you the best conversion utilization of what alphas remain into the iso-alpha bitterness.  It will have some vegetable/grassy flavors (like using fresh hops - picked right before the boil) but much of this flavor will be absorbed by the beer in the dry-hopping as well.  Taste a few of the flowers...they usually taste slightly sweet, you'll get a bit of whatever you taste in your kettle.  As far as how to calculate what alphas are left for conversion in the new batch...that's anyone's guess.

Back