• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newby with mash question

HB175

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. I am brewing my first all grain beer kit and I have a delima. I am wondering if I can get some advice. My problem is the kit directions and the BeerSmith sparge temps don't match.

Directions- heat 1.25 gal to 1 lb of grain to 20F above mash temp (ideal mash temp 150F). So that would be 170F.
BeerSmith- 13.44 qts of water at 165F. (My equipment profile is set to 7.5 gal brew pot and 10 gal igloo cooler) 
Both say hold at 150 for 60 minutes.

Sparge:

Directions- Heat 5 gal of water to 175F and put in hot liquor tank (another 10 gal igloo cooler with rotating spray bar). Once you have used or reached    6.25 of wort begin heating for boil. Don't run off more than 6.25 gal of wort. 
BeerSmith- 4.59 gal of 160F water and add water to achieve boil volume 6.41 gal.

This is my question; which do I follow or should I mix and match? I was thinking use BeerSmith's temps and the directions water columns for sparge to keep me from having to add water to reach the boil volume of 6.25.

What do you guys think? 

Use BeerSmith.

It's not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the other directions, it's just that those directions were written as a very general case example.  Chances are that using EITHER will result in an enjoyable beer, just with subtle differences.  One may have a fuller mouthfeel, or might attenuate slightly more, or the ABV could be slightly different.  With brewing, there are a lot of "right" answers available from a specific set of ingredients.

As you learn more about all grain, you will learn how to 'tune' BeerSmith to your specifics.  I.e. your specific mash tun, your specific mash schedule, even your specific water profile.  As you do so, BeerSmith will change instructions to fit your needs thereby helping you achieve the exact frothy libation you dream about.

Either way, remember RDWHAHB (Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Homebrew).  8)

The Big Dog
http://www.brewdogz.com

Thanks,  jreddin1 "The Big Dog"

I will do just that. Now I have another question. As I am new to all grain brewing, I do not have a barley crusher yet. Therefore, I had to order my grains crushed. I am wondering how long can I keep them before brewing? I'm just asking because I ordered two kits, and wanted to know if I would have time to let the first one finish before I start the second one.

If the grains are kept in an air-tight container, in a cool area, you can keep them for a couple months without too much loss in flavor.

Personally, I like to keep them whole until brew time and then grind right as my HLT hits mash-in temps.  Like you said, though, that requires a mill :-/

Later.

Back