• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Version 2 Minimum System Requirements

dplittle

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Brad, let me commend you on a great program. I was a longtime user of another brewing program but gave BeerSmith a try after hearing about it on The Brewing Network. I just wish I'd found it back in the days when I did batch sparging in a picnic cooler!

I am anxiously awaiting Version 2 but need to replace my brewing computer now. I have been using an old laptop as my brewhouse machine but it is on its last legs. I am considering a small netbook as a replacement since all I really use the machine for is BeerSmith and accessing Jamil's pitching rate calculator on the web. With a netbook it will be easier to have it with me on brew days.

I don't want to get something now that will be "too small" for version 2 of BeerSmith. Have you released minimum system requirements for Windows computers? When you come out with an iPad version I'll probably switch to that but for now I'm sticking with Windows.

David

David,
  Actually it runs just fine, even on XP SP3 and a modest processor, but users with old style narrow screens will find things to be a bit cramped since I've redesigned the recipe screens to take advantage of newer widescreen formats.  I would recommend a minimum screen width of 1200 pixels (which just about any modern display has) if you want the full experience.

However, I did put in a feature to allow you to hide the sidebar which allows it to run on narrower screens.  I just tested it on my old XP machine with a 1024x768 screen and if you hide the left sidebar the recipes display pretty nicely even in design view.  Since the program has both menus and the ribbon at the top, you can get by with a hidden sidebar.

A netbook will likely have around a 1024 pixel wide screen.  Most modern notebooks go to 1400 wide and beyond.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad. That's exactly what I needed to know. I would have gotten frustrated only seeing part of the screen. I have an app at work I have to "scroll and roll" to see everything and it has caused more than one moment of thoughts like .... I'm going to throw this whole damn thing out the window!

Looking forward to the new version.

David

Back