• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First non-kit beer (a little nervous)

CadKing

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've made about 12 batches of extract beer and am ready (I think) to start looking beyond the kit.  One of the kits that I really enjoyed was Jamil's Evil Twin from Northern Brewer.  One thing I noticed is that the kit beer doesn't include the variety that is found in the original, which I assume is to keep the process easy.  I've tried to keep the recipe as true to the original and this is the first time that I've used Beer Smith so would appreciate anyones input so that I don't screw this up too bad ;).

Here's the original from MrMalty.com (should be non copywritten).

Ingredients for 6 U.S. gallons (23 liters)
Target Original Gravity: 1.066 (16.21 Plato)
Approximate Final Gravity: 1.016 (4.08 Plato)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
Anticipated SRM: 17
Anticipated IBU: 23.8
Anticipated ABV: 6.66%
Wort Boil Time: 90 minutes
12 lb (5.44 kg) British Pale Malt 3L
1 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal 40L
1 lb (0.45 kg) Munich Malt 8L
0.50 lb (0.22 kg) Victory Malt 25L
0.50 lb (0.22 kg) Crystal 120L
0.25 lb (0.11 kg) Pale Chocolate Malt 200L
0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (20 min.) (6.4 IBU)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (20 min.) (4.5 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (10 min.) (7.6 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (10 min.) (5.3 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (0 min.) (0 IBU)
1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 7% alpha acid (0 min.) (0 IBU)

Extract with specialty grains option: Using liquid malt extract, replace English Pale Malt with 8.75 lbs (3.97 kg) pale malt extract. Replace the Munich malt with 0.75 lbs. (0.34 kg) Munich malt extract. Using dry malt extract, replace English Pale Malt with 7 lbs (3.17 kg) pale malt extract. Replace the Munich malt with 0.50 lbs. (0.22 kg) Munich malt extract.

My attempt at converting to extract is attached (All items available from Northern Brewer).  My final volume into the carboy is 5 gallons so the whole thing had to be re-sized for my equipment.  I have a 4 gallon pot and add water to get the 5 gallon mark.

If anyone that had some time could let me know if I've made any serious mistakes, I sure would appreciate it.  I really don't want to screw up with $ 60.00 worth of ingredients.  It could be that I should have tried something simpler for my first recipe, but that's against my nature, lol.

Attachments

• recipes.bsm
    15.1 KB · Views: 224
Without running the numbers,

The biggest thing I see is a substitution of Cascade for Amarillo.  That can be a significant shift in flavor.  I get (most times) Apricot from Amarillo.  But I have gotten intense grapefruit from it on occasion.  Not sure why, but it happened.

I don't know that recipe, but yes cascades would typically pair with centennial nicely.  Are you going to steep the specialty grains in a bag?  I did that for awhile and liked the flavors I'd get.  That way you could use munich grain in liu of extract.  It otherwsie looks yummy.  a lot of hops, but I'm guessing you want that. 

BeerSmith lets you play mad scientist. 

Thanks for the replies.

I brewed this batch just a few days after that post and now have it in the keg force carbing.  The results were somewhat unexpected and I'm not exactly sure what made the, what I would call a coffee flavor or heavy malt flavor, so pronounced.  It smells like the chocolate roast but it really is more severe than I expected, especially for only a quarter pound (and I re-weighed the leftovers to be sure I didn't put the wrong amount in). 

I can say that I hit the numbers right on, which with extract is probably not that hard to do.  The one thing I was worried about was the hop bittering and with the malt characteristic hitting so predominantly in the foreground I cant even tell there's hops in there.  With 6 oz of hops, I'm completely floored at that.  It is early yet though and my hope is that the malt mellows out and the late addition hops get a chance to stand out and strike a nice balance.  If it doesn't though, it still is pretty good in spite of the unexpected flavor and has a heck of a kick to boot which you can't taste but sure can feel after drinking it.

Once this has a chance to age another week or two, I'll update the thread.

After reviewing the recipe, it sounds like it would be a beer that favors malt more than hop flavors.  With your bittering hops only having 20 minutes of boil time, you probably are not be getting full utilization. 

It's a fairly high gravity beer with a substantial alcohol presence.  It's going to be malty and sweet with 29 IBUs.  If your looking for more hop flavor, as opposed to bitterness, try dry hopping with amarillo or cascade.  Your late hop additions should give you some hop flavors but you have a substantial grain bill that may overpower them.  Dry hopping will help make those flavors more pronounced.  Don't be afraid you're going to dry hop too much, you won't. 

It really just depends on what you're looking for.  But, if you want a little more bitterness, try adding your bittering hops closer to, or at, the beginning of the boil.  If you like it how it is, then leave it alone and just drink it.  That's the beauty of brewing your own.  If someone else doesn't care for a particular batch, it just means more for you!

Back