• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Other suggestions are welcome as well!

Eugenio

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Can you use oxiclean for a sterilizer or just a cleaner?  I saw the stuff at the store but it appears to be a laundry detergent.  How much do you use?

I primarily use bleach an iodophor for sterilizing - bleach on glass because its cheap and iodophor for the kegs, chiller and other copper/stainless items...

Other suggestions are welcome as well!

Oxyclean, unscented, is an OK cleaner.  It lacks a cleating agent so you can get calcium buildup as it evaporates.  You need to be sure to use it warm and rinse the same temp.  It also lacks a surfactant which helps the cleaning agent break surface tension and get into tiny places and destroy the target ick.

I prefer PBW to clean.  It has everything I need to clean brewing equipment.  Bleach is not a detergent.
I use StarSan to sanitize.  It just kicks serious bug butt.  Unlike bleach, it does not destroy my cloths and skin and unlike Iodaphor, it does not stain everything.

I agree you can also use b bright as your sani . starsan is the way to go though ...

Nice thing about Star San is you can re-use it for a pretty long time.  I mixed up 5 gallons and keep it in a bucket with a lid.  I toss it when it starts to lose its foaming quality.  Just don't leave anything metalic in it for more than a couple of minutes.  Its a pretty potent organic acid and will eat copper.

I will use Oxyclean to soak my fermentation buckets and "No chill" cubes. The stains from porters and stouts must hold some bacteria? The no chill cubes get boiling wort dumped into them and may store wort for a while so they take abuse! the Oxyclean with take out the stain and at least make it look better. I use StarSan for my sanitizer. I love the stuff. "Don't fear the foam"

Look at this link to see a picture of StarSan coming out of a keg I am filling!
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=780

I can second the PBW recommendation.  Love the stuff.  Scorch some extract on the bottom of your pot?  Throw in some PBW and let it sit overnight.  Just rinses off in the morning.
I also use StarSan.  It's the only thing I've used, so I cant comment on anything else.  Always keep some mixed up in a spray bottle.

I like Oxyclean, it is cost effective... but it can leave that white calcium haze on everything if left sit. Oxyclean is not a sterilizer. +1 on the Starsan. it is a great sanitizer. Not to split hairs but sterilizing is not piratical (or necessary) with brewing -- just sanitizing will do. I am impressed with PBW for brewery cleaning but subsidise my general cleaning with Oxyclean for cost reasons.
There is cleaning, then there is sanitizing, then there is sterilizing. All are different. Save the sterilization for yeast management.

Back