• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High temp o-rings

mmtyler

Apprentice
Reaction score
High all,

I am in the middle of converting to all-grain and will be using converted kegs for my HLT, MT, and BK.  I purchased Fermentap weldless 1/2" ball valves for each and it appears that the high temp o-rings are shown to go inside the kettles.  Just curious if any one ran into any problems with this, as in those o-rings leaving any off flavors, or any problems in the BK with melting/warping.  I'm probably being paranoid, but would like to hear from some folks on this.

Thanks,

Mike

I have used it without any real problems. Make sure you have everything where you want it when you tighten it. The weldless stays put "real" well! I have not had any problems except some initial dripping. That ended by itself quickly. The o-rings where no problems but I worried too! I use the valve with BIAB to draw off the hot wort into my cube.

I use a converted keg. If you drill into on of these make sure the valve is not where there is a opening at the bottom of the keg. The flames from the propane burner fan out and will travel to these (spots?) and if your valve is there the heat will cause problems for your o-rings and your fingers. Good luck!

yes +1  and http://bargainfittings.com/ is da schizz. I just did a double take at his legit site.  It used to be 6 items but the service was as great as the price.  The only leak i have is in the guts of my HLT valve which is a cheapo anyway... The O rings hold up nice.

Thanks BobBrews and SOGOAK.  I will proceed towards all-grainess!!  bargainfitttings.com is a cool site...will probably order something from them at some point.

Prost!!

Yeah, barginfittings is good. But sometimes you can find the same products cheaper at directmaterial.com.
I found some SS valves cheaper there, and they were willing to drop their price on the items that barginfittings were cheaper on, to beat their price. But I'm big on comparison shopping. haha

Back