• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about Yeast Activation

dwb9124

Apprentice
Reaction score
Yesterday was my first brew day. I was pretty happy with the way things went, but in the very last step I might have made a mistake.

I activated my slap pack of yeast 3 hours before brewing. The bag got swollen, but I noticed it was not as expanded as the one I saw at the brew supply store.

When I went to pitch the yeast, I noticed inside the bag there were 2 activation pouches...One was burst, the other was not. I made the decision to pour all the yeast in, and burst the other activation pack and pitch that in too. In retrospect, I panicked and probably should have done some research before doing this.

Any advice on whether this has ruined my beer?

As long as you maintained good sanitation your beer should ferment OK. The longer it takes to begin fermentation the better the chance that "something else" could grow! I have used half swollen packs without a problem. I have used tight nearly burst pouches and had infections! Sanitation is the key! The more "Yeast of choice" you have the faster and better the ferment. The less you start out with the longer it takes to get going and it gives unwanted yeast a chance to reek havoc!

A beer that is fermenting properly may have had a infection in the bucket along with it but the "Yeast of choice" with billions of cells will get a head start and will use up all the sugars and nutrients before the infection takes hold. Sanitation will save a beer but billions of healthy cells don't hurt!

As long as the yeast you purchased wasn't bad, the worst thing that will happen is a delayed fermentation.

If after a day or two you don't see activity (the airlock is not bubbling) then you got bad yeast. At that point I'd suggest pitching a packet of dried yeast into it.

If you've got bubbles in the airlock you're all set.

Back