• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

first attempt on brew magic

Siggy.C

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Siggy and i am new to homebrewing. i have access to a brew magic system by Sabco .

I am suppose to brew a batch this afternoon and i chose an amber ale, but i don't understand the beersmith software all the way.

In the recipe view if i change the batch size it doesn't adjust the quantity of grain automatically. Its kinda of a problem since i need to go buy my ingredients!! ???

please give me advices thanks to all!

Siggy.C

Looks at the scale features.  They are very powerful.  You can scale by batch size or as I often do, by original gravity. 

thank you i'll look at it later today,

So i brewed my first batch yesterday, went down to the local brewing store and bought ingredients to make a 5 gallon batch of all american amber ale.

Everything went smooth, i was very happy of the mash, boiling went fine,  but just when i was almost done chilling the wort, i forgot to plug my O2 bottle to the chiller.......dami*!

I realized it a little before it was done so i did plug the bottle and held the tube higher in the bucket to create bubbles while transfering.

I'm pretty mad at my self, but i guess i have to make mistakes to learn......   

This morning i came i to check if the yeast was doing its job, but i can't see the air lock making any bubbles.....The thing is i have a 6.5 gallons bucket and only have about 4 gallons of beer in it...maybe that's why i can't see it bubbling since their is a lot of space above the beer??

space above the beer shold not be a problem as the yeast making co2 will create more gas thus increasing the pressure, making bubbles.  Possible problems:
-What temp is your beer sitting at? (too cold?)
-Pitched too small amount of yeast. (should just take longer to start)

Hope this helps.

ok i found out my problem. i was using a ''normal'' lid instead of one from the beer shop, the difference is that their is a seal in the lid from the beer shop and none in the normal one.

As soon as i swapped the lids, Co2 came out right away from the air lock and still is.

But i don't think that i was suppose to open and swap lids though.... ???

Can it contaminate my beer by doing such?

Thanks.

Siggy.C

the beer is sitting at 70-71 degrees.

And i use one whole bag of dry ale yeast....it says 11.5 g on the bag.

Siggy.C

the temp is kind of warm and the yeast can produce off flavors when they get warm. 

Swapping the lid is risky.  You should have sanitized it well and made sure there was not even the slightest breeze.  It adds a significant risk to contamination  much more that the ill fitting lid.

Once the wort reaches around 120f,  the risks of infections start getting much more real.  All precautions should be taken to ensure sanitation is always present when working with the wort.  Most problems occur at this stage until fermentation is done.

i helped brew a 10 gallon batch today with a brew master. He showed me what i didn't understand in the Beersmith program. :p

Everything works great now, even though it still is pretty complicated.

Thanks

Back