• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Deadspace Compensation

D

Danno6102

As I was messing with the batch sparge utility some more I noticed that the lauter tun dead space volume is figured into the sparge volume. Seeing as how most homebrewers lauter/sparge in their mashtun. Is there anyway to get Beersmith to figure this dead space addition in the dough in volume. If you do not figure this in when doughing in, then you are actually mashing in less than your desired water/grain ratio. I have a 2 quart deadspace at the bottom of my cooler, so if I do not take this into consideration when doughing in I am actually mashing with a water to grain ratio of 1.05 vs. 1.25 that I wanted. Just a thought.

Danno

Danno,
 I had not really thought of this, but it does make sense from that perspective if you have a large amount of deadspace.

The deadspace is taken into account when calculating the sparge water needed, but it might make sense to include it in the mash calculations in some cases as well.  The only problem is that some of the deadspace/losses might be due to transfer equipment/pumps that might not be active during the mash process.

I need to think this through - but thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers!
Brad

on the same topic why is lautertun dead space not figured into your original gravity estamate?

The original gravity estimate is primarily influenced by your overall brewhouse efficiency.

The brewhouse efficiency number represents the "gross efficiency" of your brewing setup from start to finish, including losses.

In contrast, if one knows the "Sparge efficiency" and losses along the way you could factor those losses into the program at each stage when calculating OG.

I made the decision early on to use overal "gross" brewhouse efficiency instead, since this is consistent with other programs and common practice.  Many people konw their overall brewhouse efficiency, but not everyone knows what their efficiency is going into the boiler.

It could be done either way - but I chose to keep it consistent with common practices.

Cheers!
Brad

Noticed when doing a smaller batch (2 gallons) that I had a lot of dead space in the mash tun (12.5 gallon tun with approx. 9 gallons of dead space).  Lost about 11 degrees just to that.  I will begin experimenting warming up the tun better when doing smaller batches.  Plan to add 1 gallon of 200 degree water and chart the temp over the next 30 minutes.  We'll see how that goes and use that as a gauge for warming up the tun in the future.

I will probably do the same thing for larger batches as well.  It would be cool, if Beersmith had that feature built in.  Or does it and I missed it?

Since I had trouble getting my mash to the desired 158, I let it mash an extra 30 minutes.  It is a very active fermentation so it wasn't a total loss.  We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks.

Chris

I lay a piece of inert foam board on top of the mash before putting on the cover.  It insulates the mash from the cooler air above.  Seems to really help.

I mentioned this same problem back in September in the All Grain forum

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=3591.msg15970#msg15970

I have a gallon under my false bottom so I basically add one more gallon than what the mash profile specifies for a 1.25 water to grain ratio.

Another thing I just tried and it seems to really help is I bought some of that mylar water heater insulation at Menards and wrapped the mash tun in that.  I cut and fitted about 4 layers of that on top and ran some measurements.  Even with about 6 gallons of deadspace I went from losing about 1 degree F every 5 minutes to 1 degree F every 15 minutes.  If I do a full batch I probably won't loose anything with this arrangement.  :D

Is the dead space assuming at the top or the bottom of the tun?

For example, my 10 Rubbermaid cooler has zero dead space at the bottom but plenty at the top.

Should I adjust the lautering tun deadspace to zero?

Dear Brad
I am using a pico screen in a keggle set up, I have a 3 gallon water vol. under my mash screen ,like most i just add the 3 gallons and then when sparging down the grain i figure i get it back , on a 10 gallon set up ,  I use two pump set up ,, It wound be really nice if you could get this done ,,,, and a click  button on preheated mash tun Equip. to tell the program it is preheat so you don't over shoot the mash temps
I you have done a great job ,,,this is my only complaint and we will see what happens you can sent me a priv. email and we can discuse this i will be glad to help , the pi-co screen is at adventures Homebrew
This really messes with my head LOL
Thanks

Back