• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a way to remove ribbon menu?

ChrisNH

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I use Beersmith on a netbook with a 1366x768 res. Many other small laptops and tablets are similar.

The new ribbon menu is very nice but it is large, takes up valuable vertical space and is completely redundant.

Is there a way to remove this as there is for the sidebar? The sidebar is a better menu choice for a smaller widescreen display. Right now I see much less of the recipe screen then I did with the 1.4 beersmith. I would really like to dump this.

Regards,

Chris

I too would like to see this removed or at least with the choice to remove it.  Basically everything from the open, export all, export sel, print, preview, etc line of buttons and above could be kept in the doubly redundant home, view, profile, etc buttons.  I do like the nicer looking buttons compared to the ones directly below the BeerSmith 2 banner, but could the be made to only expand when moused over or clicked?  I would really like to have more viewable space and these take away from that.  Heck, even the BeerSmith 2 banner could be removed since we know what program we are using while using it, and the minimize/restore/close buttons could be added to the end of the nicer looking buttons I spoke of earlier to save an extra line of space.  Also, this might give enough more room where the select your fields button could always be seen (I seem to have lost mine by adding 13 fields and can't add/change any more of them now which is a bummer when you are playing around with a new program).

+1

The ribbon is nice, but when using my laptop, I'd rather hide it and use the sidebar because vertical space is limited.

Thanks for the consideration!

-TK

Thanks,
  I'll see if I can add an option to hide it in a future version!

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Thanks,

Brad

Thanks! That will be helpful.

Chris

ChrisNH said:
BeerSmith said:
Thanks,

Brad

Thanks! That will be helpful.

Chris

Agreed. The first thing I do on any new installation of MS Office 2007 or 2010 is to hide the space-hogging ribbon. I don't mind having tools and features there, I just don't want it taking up real estate when I'm not using it.

So if you can get it to hide similar to MS Office where it pops down when you need it and then pops back up when you have made your selection, that would be great!

I too would like to see this happen?
Has this been looked at since it was first posted?

Just the sidebar would be a very welcome feature.

Thanks
Jeff

It isn't exactly what you asked for, but you CAN use the "small ribbon".  The small ribbon uses icons that are about half the size of the large ribbon, and it hides the text labels. 

Second, you CAN hide the menubar. 

So, you can regain most of the real-estate using these two options. 

Back