• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do I set Brix as the default scale for gravity readings

dslater

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use a refractometer and would like to set this (using the Brix scale) as the default for my recipes.

Where is this set? I had expected to find in under Equipment or Tools --> Options ...
I'm sure I'm missing something that should be obvious.

Thanks!

Hi,
  There is actually a problem with doing this (which is why I don't put Brix in as an option).

When you use the refractometer it is calibrated to read sucrose (table sugar) dissolved in water.  As soon as you switch to wort or beer, the readings get thrown off so the "Brix" you are reading is not equivalent to SG (at least not by simple conversion).

You actually need to use the refractometer tool (in BeerSmith) to convert your Brix readings into gravity readings in plato or SG units.  You can do this on the side by shift-clicking on the "Refractometer" tool which will open it in a separate window.  Then use that window to do the calcs as you are entering your gravities.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad,

Thank you for the explanation. I seem to recall that in 1.4  that you could set the scale for a refractometer a global setting and have use it as the default in all of the recipes. (Of course I wiped 1.4 from my machine after importing my recipes & ingredients.)

Hi,
  No - 1.4 worked almost exactly the same way as 2.0 with regards to the refractometer.  There are some global calibration settings for the refractometer on both versions but you would still need to use the refractometer tool to convert your readings into SG/Plato before you could use them in the program in either version.

Brad

Back