Author Topic: How do I set Brix as the default scale for gravity readings  (Read 4845 times)

Offline dslater

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
I use a refractometer and would like to set this (using the Brix scale) as the default for my recipes.

Where is this set? I had expected to find in under Equipment or Tools --> Options ...
I'm sure I'm missing something that should be obvious.

Thanks!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: How do I set Brix as the default scale for gravity readings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
Hi,
  There is actually a problem with doing this (which is why I don't put Brix in as an option).

When you use the refractometer it is calibrated to read sucrose (table sugar) dissolved in water.  As soon as you switch to wort or beer, the readings get thrown off so the "Brix" you are reading is not equivalent to SG (at least not by simple conversion).

You actually need to use the refractometer tool (in BeerSmith) to convert your Brix readings into gravity readings in plato or SG units.  You can do this on the side by shift-clicking on the "Refractometer" tool which will open it in a separate window.  Then use that window to do the calcs as you are entering your gravities.

Cheers,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline dslater

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
Brad,

Thank you for the explanation. I seem to recall that in 1.4  that you could set the scale for a refractometer a global setting and have use it as the default in all of the recipes. (Of course I wiped 1.4 from my machine after importing my recipes & ingredients.)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
Hi,
  No - 1.4 worked almost exactly the same way as 2.0 with regards to the refractometer.  There are some global calibration settings for the refractometer on both versions but you would still need to use the refractometer tool to convert your readings into SG/Plato before you could use them in the program in either version.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here