• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter Calculations

dongordon

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've noticed the following with the yeast starter page.

- Yeast starter units on the yeast starter tab is in quarts (usually this is expressed in liters) but on the recipe page it shows up in liters. I see you've been
      asked to support both metric and American which is great, but is there a way to ensure a consistent measurement system carries throughout the system?

- The yeast starter calculations yield some very different results than Mr. Malty website, the real expert on this topic.  There are a number of very technical
      numbers in the configuration of the yeast calculations.  Which one should be used to get closer to the Mr. Malty calculations?

From experimentation, it seems like a stir plate factor between 1.4 and 1.5 will get you cell count numbers similar to Mr Malty. 

Thanks,
  You can adjust most everything from within the yeast starter options.

I am working on a change to have separate units for yeast starters (set from the units tab) to allow people to use liters/quarts or whatever they want in the future.

Brad

Back