Author Topic: Beersmith on my flash drive thingy  (Read 15222 times)

Offline Blueblood

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Beersmith on my flash drive thingy
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
I put beersmith on my flash drive so I can use it at my buddies house when I'm down there brewing since I don't have a laptop yet. Is there any way I can use his laptop computer and my beersmith down at his place? Thanks

Offline sbbish

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: Beersmith on my flash drive thingy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »
*Cross-posting this reply from another thread.*

I installed BeerSmith (both 1.4 a couple of years ago and 2.0 last week) on my flash drive. That lets me run it on any computer. So I'll design recipes on my work computer during my lunch hour, or mess with inventory and ingredients on my desktop at home, then use my laptop on a brew day so I can keep everything with me out on the patio. I had no problems with performance and so far, it looks like 2.0 runs even better on my flash drive than 1.4 did.

Just be sure to "Change Documents Directory" (from the File menu) to point to a location on your flash drive. By default, it tries to look in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\BeerSmith2 on the local computer and then you loose everything when you run it off your flash drive on a different computer (including activation). But once I pointed to a directory on my flash drive, everything has been hunky dory.

Scott

Offline Blueblood

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
Thanks sbbish, now to figure out how to do it! ??? ;)

Offline sbbish

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
All I did was install BeerSmith directly to the flash drive. When prompted during the initial installation for where I wanted to install it, I browsed to my flash drive and picked a location there. After that, it installed and ran fine. (I used the same procedure a couple of years ago when I first purchased 1.4.)

I'm using the Windows version.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Offline Blueblood

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
Thats what I did to, but when I take my flash drive to my friends house to do a brew or talk about a recipe and use his laptop it wants a registration key to pull up the program! I did the "Change Documents Directory" and it still won't work.

Offline sbbish

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
Hmmm, very weird. I had that same problem with it wanting a registration key on a new machine until I did the "Change Documents Directory". After that, moving the flash drive to a new machine worked without any problems. I don't know what's different.

Maybe Brad has some ideas. For me, running one instance on a flash drive on any machine is more important than having two licenses.

Offline Blueblood

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »
When you did the change documents directory what file did you choose on the flash drive?

Offline sbbish

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
I just pointed it to the same directory where I installed BeerSmith. Where the .exe resides. In my case, that was F:\Apps\BeerSmith2

*Note* F:\ changes depending on what drive letter is available on the computer I plug it in to. On my laptop, that becomes E:\ and everything still runs.
Also, "Apps" was a directory I created on my flash drive where I put all my portable apps.

Offline Blueblood

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
Well hell. I did the same thing and it still didn't work. Maybe I should delete and re-install! Hell I don't know! Thanks again for the help.

Offline sbbish

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
Okay, now I'm worried that I have some lucky fluke going on and it's going to quit working for me. I'll play around and see if I can't figure out why it's working.

And maybe Brad will chime in?  :)

Offline Blueblood

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
Ok, tried a new flash drive and still the same thing! Thanks for looking!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
Hi,
  If you want both the program and your documents on the same drive (shared, flash or whatever) I strongly recommend putting them in two different directories - install the program to one (such as F:\BeerSmith-Program) and then use the Change Directory command on the File menu to change your Documents to another directory (such as F:\BeerSmith-Docs).

That way if you ever do updates to the program it won't risk overwriting your data - as they belong in separate directories.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline sbbish

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Hi,
  If you want both the program and your documents on the same drive (shared, flash or whatever) I strongly recommend putting them in two different directories - install the program to one (such as F:\BeerSmith-Program) and then use the Change Directory command on the File menu to change your Documents to another directory (such as F:\BeerSmith-Docs).

That way if you ever do updates to the program it won't risk overwriting your data - as they belong in separate directories.

Brad

I will do that immediately. Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline bschoenb

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »

I have the program on My Flash Drive as well (thought I was the only Genius?); for the same reason.. I can take it and work on the details when I brew at my buddies...

Offline Blueblood

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
I have now tried Portableapps on the flash drive and Beersmith still wants to be registered when I open it on another computer! Tried Dropbox also but Beersmith won't open from there!

modification