• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Split Boil Evaporation- Help?

iMakeWort

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using BeerSmith for extract brews but now I'm going AG. The only problem is I'm in a high rise condo so can only do stovetop so......

I've built a 10 gallon MLT out of a Rubbermaid cylindrical cooler and plan on mashing the entire volume for a 5 gallon brew and batch sparge.  I'll split the boils, half the hops etc...

I have 2 identical 22 qt kettles.  I usually lose about 3/4 gallons to evaporation per pot so that's 1.5 gallons for both.  Say 2 gallon lose due to trub etc...

Now my question is:  How the heck do I set up BeerSmith to accommodate a split boil AG evaporation rate? My goal is to collect enough wort so I don't have to top off the fermenter.  I fear coming in way too low or way over.

Can any of you BeerSmith veterans help me?

Cheers!  

****bump****

Could it be as simple as just adjusting the "boil off" rate to 1.5 gallons and saying to heck with it?  I do tend to find trial and error on brew day invigorating.

Yes,
  I would agree - entering the total should give you accurate numbers later in your process.

Brad

Back