• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Revised recipes and sessions.

Derek Toering

Brewer
Reaction score
I have a recipe.  I then want to brew this recipe on a set date. Lets say 1 week later. How do I do this?  Only I can see at the moment is to modify the recipe to the date that I am brewing.

Which brings me to my next question.  If I modify a recipe (ie the date) how do I save it without over writing the original?  At the moment, if I change a recipe in some way, it just saves it, and the recipe I had before the changes is gone.

Essentially I want a base recipe, then a brew session, then a modified recipe, a new brew session and so on with a complete history of what has happened so I can look back at past versions of the recipe, and the associated brew sessions.

Derek.

Derek,

I want the EXACT same thing, and I have been unable to find it in BeerSmith - That's why I'm staying with ProMash for now, because ProMash has offered that HUGE feature since its inception. I just can't believe it's not FRONT AND CENTER in BeerSmith 2.0.

I'm ALWAYS tweaking a base recipe - most of which come from Brewing Classic Styles. But I almost NEVER brew the same recipe twice.

Are we BOTH missing something???

Use 'Save As'? That's what I do. Just change the version or the name if you change something. If I change a recipe from a book, which I normally do, I rename it any way.
I also have ProMash, along with both versions of BeerSmith. They all have features that the others lack. IMHO, they are all just tools, and no single tool is the answer for all tasks.
I enjoy using all three.

"Save as" works for your changed recipes, also, "copy to log" for those recipes you've brewed.  In the log you can also create folders to further organize them.  I have my brewed recipes in the log in folders for the year, or you could create folders for each recipe in the log if you have brewed each individual recipe a lot of times.  The version number works well if you create a copy of the recipe then alter it advance the version number and add a column for the version number so it can be seen when you look through your recipes. 

Back