• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pricing Feature

S

SAHomeBrew

I have read a couple of references about a pricing feature in BeerSmith and here is my take;
I would not mind a column to track what a batch cost me to make... cool no problem.
What I don't want is to have to update a price field for an once of X, by this I mean that pricing from the web is cool exept I hardly ever buy form the web, witch means my little fly-by-nite homebrew-shop-that-doesn't-get-updated-to-beersmith I will have to enter manually... not cool.

Part of the beauty of this software IS it's simplicity... Don't over do it... If it is an optional column (hint, hint) I most likely will NOT be using it. I don't need to track my brewing that closely, I have MS Money and list brewing supplies in it's own catagory I already know what I am spending.

What I'm thinking of is a simple feature that would allow you to enter a price per pound (or oz, or whatever) for each ingredient and then total it up on the shopping and recipe views to determine estimated shopping cost and cost per batch.

Someone mentioned tying the shopping list feature to some actual web suppliers so you could shop online.  I  think this is a great idea but obviously it would be a lot of work, and require a lot of cooperation from the vendors.  This would be a very long term project (much later!).

Cheers!
Brad

What I'm thinking of is a simple feature that would allow you to enter a price per pound (or oz, or whatever) for each ingredient and then total it up on the shopping and recipe views to determine estimated shopping cost and cost per batch.

This would not be a bad feature, beacause you would only have to put in what you bought and it's an option you don't have to do.

Someone mentioned tying the shopping list feature to some actual web suppliers so you could shop online.  I  think this is a great idea but obviously it would be a lot of work, and require a lot of cooperation from the vendors.  This would be a very long term project (much later!).

This is questionable at best. I usually only buy from the web what I can't get local, so the web's pricing (other than comparison) would not benefit me much.

The problem I have with buying on the web is that most places are 3-5 days shipping from me. If I order on tuesday or wednesday, I don't see my product until monday of the following week. Yes I know I have the option of second day and all that, but have you looked at the shipping 2nd day on 20lbs of stuff accross 3 zones? It winds up almost as much as the product it self. (the last one I thought about doing was 13lbs, 2nd day would have been $27 making my total cost over $50!!)

Sorry, (steps off soap box)

Back