• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash thickness

thatguy314

Apprentice
Reaction score
On 2.0 I can't seem to figure out how to set the mash thickness to quarts per pound.  This was a great feature of the old beersmith, but it just lets me set the # of quarts and I would have to manually adjust it to get Q/P.  It's really annoying.  Is there a better way to do this?

I too, would like to know this.

I was adjusting it by changing that value.  Now you can't.
I am trying to create or modify a profile and that part is so confusing.
Is there some help or a tutorial that explains the water/grain ratio in some more detail.
I mean, are there some rules?  Start at 1.25 qt/lb? or more? or less?
Then where do you go from there?  Up? down? for each step.
I also sometimes get an Error message.  Not sure why.
Just not getting it!
Sorry about the questions, but I want to get a handle on this.
I've read the help, but it really doesn't talk much about this.
I know I can use the profiles in BS2, but want to understand the how and why or water/grain ratios.
Thanks ...

Hi,
  Basically if you add water you will change the water/grain ratio since the amount of grain remains the same.  The two (even in the old version) are equivalent.  So if you want a higher water/grain ratio you simply add more water for that mash step.

For example if you start with a mash profile with a 10lb basis and add 15 quarts of water for the initial mash in you will get 1.5 qts/lb water to grain ratio.  If you want 2 qts/lb, then add 20 qts of water instead.

In the case of later steps, you are stuck with the water from the previous step, so you can't go lower than that, but whatever water you add increases the overall water in the mash and also the water to grain ratio.

I am planning to go back in an update and make the water/grain adjustable - since many peoople fine it easier to work with.

Brad

Yes, please add this update!  I much prefer being able to set the water/grain ration and have the volume automatically calculated for me. 

Hi,
  I did add it back in for build 40 (release a few days ago)- you can adjust mash step water/grain now.

Brad

OK, I must be blind because I can't find where the water/grain can be adjusted. I've looked in the recipe- mash details. I've looked in the mash profiles. Just not finding it anywhere...

I have build 40 for Mac.

Hi,
  To change the water/grain ratio, just edit any mash step by double clicking on it.

Brad

I've got build 40, and editing the mash step works for single infusion, but with BIAB it won't let me change the value.  In the edit window, I can change from say 3.9 qt/lb to 2 and see the volume in the edit window change, but when I hit OK, it reverts back to the original value.  Is this expected?  I know BIAB is meant to have the total volume as controlled by equipment, however, if I want to try to mash more grain with less water volume and have a separate sparge step (or infusion) step, I can't do that with the BIAB mash profile.  Should I just create my own?

That's fine if that's the case, but I'd really just like it if the qt/lb worked for any profile rather than not for BIAB (or at least grey out the field if using the BIAB profile).

It appears that it won't let you enter a nice round number in the edit mash step, and you can only set the water/grain ratio to one decimal point.
For example, I have 28lb grain and want 1.25 ratio.  In the edit window I enter 1.25 and it calculates correctly 35 qt water.  But when I hit okay, it rounds my ratio to 1.3 and puts 36.4 qts in the mash step line.  You can't manually put in 35 qt in the edit window, it won't save it.  Obviously I'm not bothering to measure out to 0.4 qt and the difference between 1.25 and 1.3 is not going to make a difference on brew day.  It's just annoying I can't set the value I want without it recalculating.

Hi,
  I fixed this (the decimal problem) in the open beta build posted a few days back - its available here on the forum.  I'm planning to release it as a mainline release in the next few weeks.

For BIAB - you can't change the water amount for the first BIAB step because it is fixed at the total amount needed for a full boil volume mash.  I suppose it should be greyed out.  If you want it to be flexible you need to turn off the BIAB flag in the mash profile which lets you set it to whatever you want.

Brad

Back