• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Requests for Beersmith 2

dstar26t

Apprentice
Reaction score
More Specific Gravity and ABV accuracy, e.g., 1.01025, 8.75%

More fermentation and aging stages

Hi,
  In many cases you can change the precision of units (see the units tab) if desired.

Is the corn sugar not scaling properly with the grain bill?  Are you using the scale recipe command or some other feature to scale?

Brad

Thanks Brad, found the unit precision.

Regarding the corn sugar...
For example, lets say I designed a recipe (Belgian Tripel) with 19% corn sugar and 92% efficiency.  If I use the scale feature to scale it from 92% efficiency down to 75%, the corn sugar amount stays the same and the percentage decreases to 16% instead of the corn sugar amount increasing to keep it at 19%.

Nate

Thanks,
I'll take a look at this - if you could shoot me a recipe to play with via email it would be appreciated.

Brad

I like the "Update Prices" feature. It would be nice to have Update Ingredients/Equipment/fermentation buttons as well. I copy a "Master" recipe to Brew Log when I'm going to brew it. I need to go through all procedures, equipment, and ingredients to make sure they get updated to the most current settings. If the master recipe is old it may not reflect any adjustments that have been made to equipment, mash profile, or ingredient charachteristics without "replacing" each item with the same item.

The ability to either run beersmith 2.0 from a flash drive, or have a portable version of beersmith 2.0 that you can install to your flash drive from the main program. I'm not sure how that is done, but I have seen it in other programs before. I'd be happy even if you had to sync your portable program with the main version every so often just to prove a legitimate license. I have come to rely on having beersmith 1.4 portable so much, I am really going to miss being able to take my beersmith with me everywhere to work on recipes.

barleypopmaker said:
The ability to either run beersmith 2.0 from a flash drive, or have a portable version of beersmith 2.0 that you can install to your flash drive from the main program. I'm not sure how that is done, but I have seen it in other programs before. I'd be happy even if you had to sync your portable program with the main version every so often just to prove a legitimate license. I have come to rely on having beersmith 1.4 portable so much, I am really going to miss being able to take my beersmith with me everywhere to work on recipes.

I'll second this. I had it working on my flash drive for a while, but now it's not (not on new computers, anyway). I'm going to keep digging around and see if I can figure out how to make it run right. Having 1.4 on my flash drive was invaluable. I'm just not willing to give up that convenience.

Hi,
  I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe you can install BeerSmith on both computers, then use the "Change Documents Directory" to point them both to a flash drive for storing all documents.  You need to be careful here (back up everything first) as the second computer you do this on will simply overwrite the data written by the first when you change the directories.

That should allow you to share across two computers I believe as long as you have the flash drive inserted before you start BeerSmith.

Brad

But it doesn't give me the ability to just take it with me, which I got very used to and quite dependent on with v1.4. I could take my flash drive to Homebrew Club meetings to show memebers what I was working on, to club brews to view and tweak recipes on the fly, work on recipes during my lunch hour at work, I could take it to the homebrew shop to view my recipe and make changes based on what he had on hand, or go between my laptop and desktop. In otherwords, I could take my files with me wherever and formulate, tweak, and veiw them anywhere I had access to a computer. I was the only one using it, but in todays world it is very important to be mobile. Again, I can understand the concern for licensing, but being able to do this with v1.4 many of us got very used to being able to do this and taking it away feels like a limitation to me that I find discouraging. I think some others may feel it as well. A portable license option or something like that I would be down with. If there is a way to keep a tight grip on licensing and give us portabilty I am down for anything we can do.

I'd like to see a 'rise time' on the fermenting and aging stages.  I.E. Primary Start Temp is 45F, Primary End Temp is 65F (diacetyl rest for lagers).  The Primary Time is 14 days.  The new 'rise time' feature would be set for the last 4 days of primary fermentation.  So, the graph would show a flat line across the first 10 days of primary fermentation, and a 20 degree temperature rise for the final 4 days.  For lagers, this would cut out two entire stages in the Fermenting and Aging module.  One for the diacetyl rest, and another for the ramp down to lagering temps.

Some way to adjust the calendar instead of the fermentation profile would be nice.
Say I miss racking to secondary by a couple days or a week... would be nice to be able to drag and drop on the calendar and have everything for that batch from that day forward get adjusted.

The only way to adjust is editing the fermentation profile unless I've missed something.

Thanks

Back