• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help? did I do it right?

S

Slatherd

Using liquid malt extract, and DME. I sanitized EVERYTHING. I was making a batch of american light. I boiled 3 gallons of water. Mixed in the LME and DME. Boiled it for about 20 mins. It never really got to a boilover stage. It kept a good film of bubbles on the top. They started to disapate toward the end. I put the wort in my bathtub (of cold water) and waited about 20 mins. It got close to 80 degrees. I had already been getting the yeast ready. it was doing well. I poured the wort into the 1st ferm bucket. and filled it with 3 gallons of chilled water. (all spring water) I then pitched my yeast. put on the top and the airlock. I then put the tape thermometer on the side. it read 80 degrees. I set it outside for 20 mins (we just got 3 inches of snow) I got it down to 75. I then put it in my basment on a shelf. My basement holds around 65-70 in the winter. I did all this last night about 7 pm. So its been well over 24 hours. All I see is some condensation on the inside of the airlock. I did what one site reccomended and pulled the lid off real quick to inspect. It appeared to have about an inch of foam on the top with a really dark foam spot under the spot where the airlock is. The smell was ok. Smelled like beer. It was really strong when I got close to it. Right now the wort is at 71 degrees.

Am I gonna be ok? did I do everything right? did I pitch the yeast to hot??

Help! ( I was hoping to have a batch for christmas)

Ihe short answer, Don't worry, have a homebrew.  You should have a brew by Christmas.

The long answer, it depends.
(I guess that was the "short" answer.

This is homebrewing, that gives us lattitude to alter and change the process, and alter and change the flavor profile.  If the results are what you want then you did everything absolutly right.

For an American light I would have pitched and fermented at the lowest temp you can get.  This style is typically a lager which means an non-fruity aroma and crisp.  This is a style where strong flavors are considered a fault ( http://bjcp.org/styles04/Category1.html ) http://bjcp.org/styles04/Category1.html

Bottom line is that you will have a good drinkable beer.

Fred

What about not seeing much activity on the airlock?

So you know, I have the 3 piece.

How long should I let it sit in the primary before going to the carboy? I brewed on Wedenesday evening.

I did what one site reccomended and pulled the lid off real quick to inspect. It appeared to have about an inch of foam on the top

That tells me that you have fermentation.  The most common cause of no airlock is a leaky lid.  If you are really concerned add a pack of Notingham dry yeast, Wyeast 1056, or Whitelabs WLP01 yeast (in case your yeast was DOA).  I don't think that is the case but that would be the next step.

I would wait for 2-3 days without the gravity dropping measured with a hydrometer, or wait 1 week.  An American Light should be comparitivly low on fermentables having an OG between 1.030 and 1.040.  I would not expect an extremely robust fermentation.  It would not suprise me to see fermentation complete either today or tomorrow.  

Do you have a hydrometer?  what was the recipe?  That would help us see what to expect.  Even the brand of extract could be important.

Fred

Fred

Almost everytime I brew, I fear the worst...my spouse has this thing about wasting $$$. ;D  I've NEVER wasted a cent on homebrew!!! ;D

I've had a wort stand about 2 days before any great amount of activity.  The homebrew I am having as we speak is one of those, a recently brewed clone.  It is so good.   So as we all say, "relax and have a homebrew...".

It also sounds like your primary is a plastic 7 gal container.  It takes more pressure, because of the increased headspace, for the airlock to bubble.  Unlike a glass 5/6 gal, which has less head room, and less give in the materials (glass doesn't quite flex like plastic).  

If you lift the lid and there's foam, you've got fermentation.

Oh yeah, and relax, have a homebrew.

Back