• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract Fermentability field

bonjour

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
It would be great to be able to indicate the Fermentability of extracts.  Briess lists their extracts as 80% fermentable (with a SG of 1.100 you may achieve a FG of 1.020 with the right yeast etc.) and I read that Laaglanders is somewhere around 55-60% fermentable.  Obviously Laaglanders could easily have a place in something like a Scottish Ale or a Wee Heavy.  

Fred Bonjour

Fred,
 This is a tough one - as there is a lot of variation due to other factors aside from the extract fermentability.

For example: yeast, temperature, boil time, mash methods used, aeration and lots of other factors all play a part.

However, it is certainly not impossible at all - but so far I have found no verified equation that takes into account the extract fermentability plus contributions due to other factors (yeast attenuation) plus the contributions from steeped or mashed grains.  If you know of this kind of research/equation, please let me know as I am very interested!

Cheers!
Brad

Boy I know that is a tough one Brad.  I was thinking of a simplistic approach though, and only for extract brewing.  I wish to brew an extract scotish ale,  should I use Briess, Coiopers, or Laaglanders?  For this brew I want to have more non-fermentables than usual.  Obviously I would choose Laaglanders.  One of the problems with this is most vendors do NOT provide information on fermentability of extracts (Briess does).  The only book I'm aware of that addresses this is Daniels DGB.  As an AG brewer I can control fermentability more or less as an art form by manipulating the factors you mentioned.  A nearly impossible task to calculate.

Extracts, on the other hand are manufactured consistantly and each extract should be consistant batch to batch.  While replicating any standard test consistantly may be impossible we should be able to indicate which brands/extracts would be a better choice for our extract brewers.

My thought was a relative fermentability field to at least provide guidelines when formulating an extract brew.  In other words, try to give an extract brewer some of the control that AG brewers have thru choice.

Fred Bonjour

Fred,
 My apologies - I thought you were asking to include it in the estimate for final gravity (which is I admit a very rough estimate to make).

I see no reason why it could not be added as a field for extracts to provide a guideline.  

I will add it to my "to do" list.

Thanks!
Brad

I would love to have an accurate FG predictor.

But, as you are more aware than most, you have to build these systems by starting simple then building on them.  

Now I have you thinking about a FG predictor you may see something in the future and say I can do it that way, No Problem.

Fred

Back