• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

disposable o2 bottles

J

JT

I have been adding pure oxygen to my chilled ward. I needed to replace the o2 supply that came with my kit; all the major hardware stores (Lowe’s, Home Depot etc) only have a welding brand that is odorized.
My instinct says not to use this and was confirmed by several employees and managers at the stores.
Has Home Land Security pulled them off the shelf too; any suggestions on disposable o2 bottles?
:eek:

I think most people--including myself, back when I used an oxygenation system--use the red Bernzomatic O2 cylinders. As far as I know, they are not odorized or otherwise impregnated with harmful compounds. Are you finding some other kind of O2 cylinders?

Yes I’m only finding the same brand of red cylinders, and they do say 'odorized'.  :(
My local brewing supply (Kent WA, Larry’s Brewing Supply, free plug) has not been able to find a wholesale supplier for the pure food grade o2 since the last one discontinued.

I did switch to a fish tank pump with a HEPA filter to compensate with yesterdays brewing.
Doing a little research, I should get similar results from enough air being pumbed in as i would with o2.
I just liked the idea of pure o2 in the sweet wort.

JT

Check your local gas suppliers such as Air Products, Airco and local welding suppliers.

If you are interested in more pure supplies, check the local medical supply stores in your area.  Lanza, Lincare, etc.  Also check with the hospital or your family doctor.  If he/she understands what you are doing, they might write a prescription for the O2.

Yes I’m only finding the same brand of red cylinders, and they do say 'odorized'.  :(
My local brewing supply (Kent WA, Larry’s Brewing Supply, free plug) has not been able to find a wholesale supplier for the pure food grade o2 since the last one discontinued.

JT

Hmmmm... I live in TN and our red Benzomatic cans don't say anything about having added odor.  Wonder if it's a state thing?  

Do yours say they have odor or you just know because someone in the biz knows that it is (I've never smelled any oder when oxygenating with the things and I've done dozens of batches that way).

Glen
Walland, TN

Thanks, your message has spured me to have more researched done and found that it is not odorized.
I miss read the label. :p (too many good HB's) :p

The only difference between the Burnzomatic red cylinder and Liquid Bread is the purity guarantee is .0009% difference.

Thanks again for the input

JT

For what you'd pay for 5 or 6 of those small bottles, you can buy a 20 lb. tank of oxygen. I got mine at Aireco.

I have a customer by the name of Airgas...they sell gas to hospitals, so I would imagine if you asked for food grade O2 they would have it.  Pretty large outfit, too, so there should be one around your locale

You should check this out. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16607/102281/Aeration_System , it has a sterile filter, and the supply of oxygen is unlimited. The pump is DEAD silent. The other advantage would be that you introduce not only pure oxygen, but nitrogen as well, which is also benificial for yeast growth.

Darin

Back