• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What to do if wort is pitched at 90 degrees?

whamilton

Apprentice
Reaction score
After I pitched my yeast I realized that my wort was at 90 degrees to a thermometer that was not calibrated.  What a rookie mistake; needless to say this is my third batch.  How long should I wait and what should I look for to know I need to repitch?  Any help would be great.

Some Ale yeast can survive 90f OK but produce very unpleasant off flavors.  Assuming you cooled it quickly to pitching temp, give it 36 hours.  Taste it.  If it is still yummy, pitch a new batch of yeast.  I would assume you need to and have a starter ready.

Thanks for the info.  Luckly my airlock began to bubble about 3 hours after pitching.  I guess I got the temp down quick enough.  Next time I will make sure my thermometer is calibrated.

whamilton,
              Remember to keep a spare dry yeast on hand for emergencies such as this. They keep well in the refrigerator and can save you when your initial yeast fails.

Back