• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB/Equipment Profile

slykryck

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a question regarding using the BIAB Mash Profile with my personalized equipment profile. My equipment is setup for a 4 gal pot. The BIAB profile is setup up for a full volume mash/boil without a separate sparge. However, My pot is sometimes slightly on the small side to mash at the full volume depending on the amount of grains (1-2 quarts). When this occurs, I sparge the removed grains with 1-2 quarts of water and add to the pot prior to the boil. Is there a way to get the "Top Up Water for Kettle" setting to automatically calculate or to add a sparge step that automatically calcualtes the amount of water needed?

Thanks,
Rick

What you are actually doing here sly is a sort of cross between BIAB and batch sparging. As you know, pure BIAB is a full volume mash - all water required goes into the mash and uses a single vessel. You however are actually splitting your water and using two vessels (the second one probably being your kitchen kettle). BIABrewer.info calls techniques such as this, 'Maxi-BIAB,' techniques as they are ways of getting a bit more wort out of a small kettle.

The mathematics of this become very quite complicated especially when a combination of Maxi-BIAB techniques are used. I know Brad was interested to explore this down the track and has already put some thought into it. 'stux' from BIABrewer.info wrote to me the other day saying he is also working on how to 'skin' this particular cat.

When some solution comes up, I'll let you know in this thread.

Sorry I am of absolutely no help for now :).
Pat

Back