• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Custom boil times

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
As I was putting together the maple stout recipe that I'm going to brew today (yay, snow day!), I had a thought regarding certain ingredients. It would be cool to be able to specify a certain boil time for sugar and adjunct ingredients, similarly to the way we do for hops. Right now, BeerSmith has the "Add After Boil" flag, but would it be possible to have a field where you could enter a time for the ingredient's entrance into the boil? For instance, I'm working with maple syrup, and I want to add it about 5 minutes before the end of the boil. Currently, the brewsheet will either tell me to add it for the full 80 minutes of my boil, or if I select the 'Add After Boil' flag, to add it at flame out. Thoughts? Thanks!

Good day for a snow day with many of the freeways shutdown for ice induced accidents.  

Good feature to add.

Fred

Colin,
 This has been on my "to do" list for a while.  It almost made it into the last release, but the complexity of some of the associated bitterness calculations made it too difficult (three bitterness equations, plus inverses, none of which were derived for varying boil OG...)

However, I am determined to slug through the math for the next big release.  

Cheers!
Brad

Back