• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late extract additions and IBUs - correlation does not seem correct

originalgoat

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I use late extract additions in my partial mash recipes, the IBUs do not seem to adjust depending on the amount of time the extract is in the boil, where version 1.4 accounted for this. For example, I have a barleywine where I add 8 lbs of extract at the end of the boil for the last 5-10 minutes. If I set the Late Extract Boil Time to 1 minute, the IBUs calculate as 58.6. If I set the Late Extract Boil Time to 45 minutes, the IBUs still calculate as 58.6. Now, If I check the "Add After Boil" box, regardless of what the Late Extract Boil Time is, the IBUs jump to 79.5. 79.5 IBUs seems correct for adding the extract after the boil, but adding the extract for only the last minute of the boil should not cut the IBUs to 58.6. Version 1.4 of Beersmith would adjust the IBUs relative to how long the late extract addition was in the boil, so in the same recipe, a late extract addition of 1 minute yields 72.1 IBUs where a late extract addition of 15 minutes yields 69.1 IBUs. 30 minutes calculates as 65.9 IBUs, and so on... I'd like to have this functionality back, as I am an exclusive partial mash/late extract brewer and found the IBU calculations based on the duration of late extract additions to be super helpful.

Sorry, I should have started my post by clarifying that this is an issue I'm having with Beersmith 2.0 including build 40, and I'm running the Windows version on XP Media Center.

That's odd,
 I just did a test here with the "Muddy Pig Oatmeal Stout" which is in the Sample Recipes.  I edited the 6 lbs of Dark Liquid Extract and set it up as a late extract addition and indeed it did alter the IBUs calculated.  I tried it with the 2 lbs of Amber Dry Extract and it also changed the IBUs.  In both cases the IBUs went up as the extracts became later - or shorter time in the boil (which is correct).

I'm wondering if something else is going on with your recipe settings or possibly the settings for the extract you are using.  Could you post or email me the recipe you are having trouble with?

Brad

Odd indeed - I get the same results as you when I make those adjustments in the Muddy Pig Oatmeal Stout - maybe it's something to do with my recipe, although this is an import from version 1.4, where I did not have this problem. How should I get it to you, just a copy/paste from the plain text report? Or will another way give you better info?

Thanks, and AWESOME program BTW, I absolutely love it. Couldn't brew without it!

Think I found it - if the recipe type is set to "extract", the behavior is correct, for every recipe I tried.
If the recipe type is set to "partial mash", (Did this with Muddy Pig and a few others) then I can't get the IBU's to change with different late extract additions.

Hi,
  Thanks for finding this - this one will be a very simple fix so I will put it in the next build.

Brad

Back