• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

AAU Calculations

D

Danno6102

Brad,
I never used AAU until the other day, so forgive my ignorance on how it worked, I know now. I was entering a recipe into Beersmith the other day & the recipe said to shoot for 12.75 AAU of Northern Brewer hops for bittering. I plugged in all of my batch sizes etc, & then started uping the hop quantity until I reached 12.75 AAU. It ended up that Beersmith said I needed 8oz :eek: of 8% hops to get there! The recipe actually only called for 1.5oz. Is this a bug, or different method of calculating AAU?

Thanks,
Danno

BeerSmith calculates AAU per gallon of beer (to account for differing batch sizes).

AAU = %alpha_acid * ozs_of_hops
     (NOTE: can be done for each hop - then summed)

(AAU per gallon) = AAU / batch_size

However, I should probably make that quite a bit more obvious in the documentation which is addmittedly poorly written in this case.

I apologize for the confusion - and I will certainly correct it in the next version.

Cheers!
Brad

the way I see it if you are following a recipe they tell you the hops they use.

so 12.75AAU /8.5=1.5 oz

if the hops that you have are 8 %AA then you would use

12.75AAU/8=1.59 oz

hops very lot to lot and year to year so they gave you some info to make an adjustment.

However, I should probably make that quite a bit more obvious in the documentation which is addmittedly poorly written in this case.
Dragging this up from '04 because I just spent some time confused on Brew Smith's calculation.  Personally I'd rather see the standard AAU value (just oz X AA) and not a per gallon value.  However, if for some reason it's felt necessary to leave it in what appears to me to be a non-standard form, then I would definitely add a "/gal" to the display under the hop tool and anywhere else that it's used in this fashion.  Would 'a saved me a half an hour.  :)

Just one user's opinion; thanks for listening.

Rick

Back