• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast starter issue

dogma46an2

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
In the yeast starter tab I was trying to figure out the size I needed.
I am using WLP 565 with a stir plate.for a Smoked Saison  with an est. O.G of 1.057
It says I need 394.2 cells
It says a recommended starter size should be 1.34qt
But for some reason the area where I type in my starter size says I can only get to 237.0 cells and caps it at that number . If I am to put in a higher amount like a 3 qt starter it stays at 237.
that just isn't right
seems the program is telling me I need to use 2 packs of yeast as well.
which seems to defeat the purpose of me buying one vile and making a starter .
what am I doing wrong here?

I played around with the Starter tab and gradually increased Starter Size.  Yeast Cells with Starter continued to increase.  It even increased when I clicked on the Stir Plate box.  I hear you on not being able to update the number of yeast packets.  That's why I like MrMalty's as you can use the slider to use less yeast packs with a bigger starter or vice versa.  If you want to use one yeast packet I believe you can just take the recommended starter size and multiply it by 2. 

Mark

Mark,
  In the yeast settings (Options dialog - yeast tab) there is a factor called starter growth limit (set to 3.0 by default).  If you really want to make large starters with a small number of yeast packs you can turn that number up.

Brad

Ok I found the yeast starter growth limit in options .. But what is 3.0 representing ? and how do I know what to turn it up too ? I mean I turned it up from 3 to 4 went back into my yeast starter on the Saison went up to 3 qt but it still says 237 cells it does not raise . But below it does say that the starter needed is now 2.71qt  with 1 packet vs the 1.34 and 2 packs ...above it says if you dont use a starter you need 10 .. 10! who would buy 10 packs of yeast for a brew ... I believe I am looking into this to deep but I am lost ...

Also In the yeast starter why doesnt it have what you need to have? for ex I would be using dme and I would do like 8 oz to 2 qt i think that would give me a og of like .045 or something around there . it would be cool to see it tell you what you should make as far as a starter brew goes ... i hope that makes sense .

BeerSmith said:
Mark,
  In the yeast settings (Options dialog - yeast tab) there is a factor called starter growth limit (set to 3.0 by default).  If you really want to make large starters with a small number of yeast packs you can turn that number up.

Brad

Brad, I am having trouble determining size of starter I need.  I have 3 packets of Wyeast Activator. Two have a date of 5/9/11 while other has 2/7/11.  I added all three to the yeast starter tab but how do I tell BS I want to make a starter with 3 yeast packets?  It's tellling me to use two for a 5.19 quart starter.  I would like BS to see how many packets I have added in the tab and use that to determine starter size.

Mark

Mark,
 It provides a recommendation but you can adjust it - you would need a minimum of two packages.  If you use three and enter your own starter size into the yeast starter tab it will display the number of cells you get - you then just need to make sure your starter is large enough to deliver the desired number of cells needed for the batch.

Brad

Okay, that works for me.  Why does the recommended starter size decrease when I drop number of yeast packets?  With three BS tells me I need 4.031 quart starter.  Two, 3.767 and with just one packet 3.35?  Number of recommended packets stays the same at 2.

Mark

Mark,
  The program uses the yeast attenuation of your yeast packets.  If you add/delete one you may be changing the average attenuation for the yeast overall which then changes the calculations for starter size.  Also if the packets have different dates they will have different viability which will also change the starter calculation.

Brad

dogma46an2 said:
Ok I found the yeast starter growth limit in options .. But what is 3.0 representing ? and how do I know what to turn it up too ? I mean I turned it up from 3 to 4 went back into my yeast starter on the Saison went up to 3 qt but it still says 237 cells it does not raise . But below it does say that the starter needed is now 2.71qt  with 1 packet vs the 1.34 and 2 packs ...above it says if you dont use a starter you need 10 .. 10! who would buy 10 packs of yeast for a brew ... I believe I am looking into this to deep but I am lost ...

I'd like to see this answered. It has been said that the number can be turned up, but no explanation what the number means or what to change it to.

Back