• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

editing the default recipe and 2.x format

mordantly

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have been trying to save the settings for the default recipe, but there is no "save as" until the first save occurs. How can I set the defaults? Am I just and not seeing it?

Also, is the version 2.x recipe format better than 1.x? Does 2.x automatically convert them to 2.x on import or do I need to activate a save cycle?

Hi,
  You use the "Set As Default" which is on the recipe home ribbon when you have a recipe open. 
  - Create a new recipe
  - Edit everything until you have it just as you would like the default to be
  - Use "Save As Default" to make this recipe template the new default for all new recipes.

The new format (BSMX) does support more features than the old one (BSM).  If you are importing recipes from BSM format, just copy/paste the ones you want into your My Recipes folder or a subfolder of it and they will automatically be converted for you.

If you have a file of old recipes you want to save as the new format just open the BSM file and then when you are saving it - select "BeerSmith File (*.bsmx)" as the file format for saving - which will save it as a BSMX format.

Brad

Thank You much.. I don't know how I missed it up there on the toolbar, but I did!!

Looks like I will fully embrace the 2.x format as well. So far I like everything in there, although the layout is taking some getting used to (the initial finding of my go-to items). Been playing with the default brewsheet and classic recipe forms to get them uuber-dialed in.

Keep up the awesome software!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
  I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Brad

Back