• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Identifying ingredients and setting boil times

dsquires

New Forum Member
Reaction score
1.    I am trying to figure out what Hi-malt Glucose would be in beersmith, I sort of got it narrowed down to either Malto-dextrin??, or corn syrop?? any suggestions....or actual product specific gravity so I can add it to the malt list.

2.    I am trying to put in my old 30 year brown recipe but am having lots of problems....first, I want to put in some roasted grains, but the program won't allow me to set how long to boil, as I just want them for color...

3.    When I was inputing the ingredients  in, I was trying to figure what Hi-malt glucose was, and was trying different malts and adjuncts,  the order of the ingredients got messed up, how do you reorder the ingredients list based on time in the boil?

Hi,
- I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what Hi-malt glucose actually is?  Is it something like malto-dextrine?
- I'm assuming you are doing an extract recipe - generally these are steeped for 15-20 minutes before the boil and not boiled - in fact boiling grains is not a good thing to do as it extracts excessive tannins in the beer.  I can't really think of any brewing method that uses boiled grains.
- You can order ingredients by their use by clicking on the "#" column.  At the moment there is no separate setting for boil time, but the # column will order additions by time for each step.

Brad

Back