• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Torani syrups

Rusty Nails

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using any of the Torani syrups for flavoring? These are the ones the expresso stands use.
I was at a tasting room with a brewer from a local brewery yesterday and SWMBO was drinking a cocoanut beer. (I don't remember what it was. I was more interested in the pre-prohibition pilsner the brewer had brought over.)
Both of us thought just run over to Cash-n-Cary, get a bottle of Torani's, and start adding it to a batch to see what happens. Of course, he strongly suggested that it be MY batch that would be used for the experiment.
Anyone tried this?

Thought about it, never done it.  Don't forget to account for sugar in the syrup. 

Where do you think you would add it?

I don't remember if they are naturally or artificially flavored--could make a big difference.

I just looked at a few bottles. The top 3 ingredients are 'pure cane sugar, water, natural flavors'.
I was going to try a hydrometer to see if I could figure out the sugar.
I thought about adding it toward the end of boil, and treat it like a sugar.

I believe the sugar content per serving is listed on the nutritional facts  ;)

I would add it post fermentation.  As a matter of fact, I added one drop of mandarin orange to my American Wheat to spice it up.  I added it at serving time.  I would add a drop or two to taste in a 12 or 22oz pour then, if bottling, add the amount to the bottle.

wink said:
Thought about it, never done it.  Don't forget to account for sugar in the syrup. 

Where do you think you would add it?

I don't remember if they are naturally or artificially flavored--could make a big difference.

Nah, flavour chemicals are flavour chemicals whether they are naturally or artificially derived. Many of them are exactly the same compounds and it is just what they were extracted from that gives them the definition of natural or artificial.

If you did not want to factor in the sugar you could just use the flavour essences from the supermarket. Torani may have a bigger range of flavours than the baking department of your local store though.

Back