• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My Water to Grain Ratio Questions ...

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all.  Hope the brewing is going good!

I still have questions with the water/grain ratio in the mash profile in Beersmith.
I have a sample profile attached.  I was planning on using this for a light wheat beer.

On some profiles the ratio remains the same between steps, on some profiles, it changes.
I want to get a better understanding of why the ratio might change, and how to determine the amount of change, and when to change it.
I understand that the suggested starting ratio is 1qt/1lb. (0.125) and can go up or down depending on a lot of factors.
I want to build or modify a profile, and don't understand why the ratio might change from step to step.

My sample profile has 3 steps, protein rest, saccrification, and mash out.
The protein rest step has a ratio of 1:1 (qt./lb.)
The saccrification step has a ratio of 1.5:1.
The Mash out step has a ratio of 2.3:1.
If I was building this from scratch, why would I jump the ratio up in each step?
Any arguments for change vs. no change in ratio?
Any thoughts?
I was hoping for a good tutorial on this, but can't find it.

Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• Eagle Double Infusion Light 3 Steps.bsmx
    3.8 KB · Views: 2
Quire simply, the way I interprate the equation you submit is that when you started out with 10lbs of grain and added 10 qts of strike water (protein rest).... that produced a 1:1 ratio.

When you added 5 qts (on top of the previous 10qts =15 qts) for your saccrifiication, that resulted in a 1.5 : 1 ratio.

Then the final 8 qts created a total of 23 qts in the MLT with 10 lbs of grain ..... it is 2.3:1 ..... no other way to interpret.

The mash profile is merely reporting what the ratio is at each step.

Hope this helps.

Back