• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

whats the best yeast to use for an all grain rye

chumba22

Apprentice
Reaction score
Looking for opinions as to the best yeast for my all new "Robs Red Rye"

it all depends on the characteristics you want form the yeast.  If you do not have temp control, you are really challenged to hit your target anyway. 
For a "clean" fermentation, one that has little added yeast character, I suggest WPL001 or comparable.  For more character, WPL051.  For some of the mild character common to English ales but finishing on the dry side, WPL007 or WPL002 for a little less dry.  I also like the Edinburgh strain form White Labs as well.  On my Rye Me?, Hops on Rye inspired, brew, I went with WPL001 since that is what the brewer used.

I suggest cool fermentation of 66-67F to keep the yeast contributed flavors and aromas more subtle.

Joe

thanks
I cant lager yet so it would be at a high temp I want my rye to have a crisp dryness about it, like you get when you eat rye bread....

I like a clean American yeast for this, 1056/US05 works

I used Dennys favorite 50 it turned out great,and had a small 3 gallon to play with ,we had a dry T-58 fermentis that was pretty funky it gave off some hard to describe flavors but was really good

Back