Author Topic: Coconut or vanilla porter  (Read 37989 times)

Offline Ziggybrew

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Coconut or vanilla porter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
Tapped my Roasted Coconut Porter this weekend
Very Nice and kinda surprising .....
Lighter body than I thought I may get. Real clean finish. Starts with a light sweet hint (but if i didnt know I couldn't you it was) coconut . But I think it adds to the brew very well. Lovely roasted and  light coffee notes as well
Over all a Beautiful beer....
Well... if you did it again... more coconut? how much?

Offline dogma46an2

• “Sir, you are drunk!” and ”Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”
  • “I drink to make other people interesting.”
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
Tapped my Roasted Coconut Porter this weekend
Very Nice and kinda surprising .....
Lighter body than I thought I may get. Real clean finish. Starts with a light sweet hint (but if i didnt know I couldn't you it was) coconut . But I think it adds to the brew very well. Lovely roasted and  light coffee notes as well
Over all a Beautiful beer....
Well... if you did it again... more coconut? how much?

To be honest I would bump up the coconut to about a 2 pounds  or more  one for around flame out and one for secondary. seems to fade very quick as it isnt really soluble in liquid maybe even use 2LBS in the boil but yeah over all came out very nice and the sweetness it adds is a nice touch ill do it again im sure
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”

Offline Beer_Tigger

• Global Moderator
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr baby! Very Grrrrr!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »
Sorry for the late post, but I need to hear your opinions...

What is the benefit of toasting the coconut first?  Why not just pure, normal coconut flavor?  Especially  if going into a roasty / toasty beer like porter or stout?
"Let's see if this here beer will help me to stop procrastinating." - my cousin

Offline dogma46an2

• “Sir, you are drunk!” and ”Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”
  • “I drink to make other people interesting.”
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
Well, I just think roasted has a better flavor. As the roasted has a more concentrated flavor
 As well I would think by roasting it removing some of the oil and moisture from the coconut that once it is applied to the wort and or beer it makes more room for the beer to move in and as it is absorbed it is released from the coconut shreds .

I think you may be on to something though and we should do an experiment with fresh and with roasted to see what kind of difference there actually is.

as for the porter part it seems like roasty coconut would contribute to more roasty flavor
I think for other brews I may not roast it. but once again I would like to do a test to see what kind of difference it really makes ...
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”

Offline MikeinWA

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
For me, the roasting was to get close to the Maui coconut porter.  I think non roasted would be great as well.  Personally, I think the roasting adds a very complimentary flavor to the Porter.

Offline Bowbrewer

• BeerSmith New Brewer
    • Damariscotta Pumpkinfest
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
I hung 1# of golden toasted coconut in the corny keg for a week using a hopbag and cotton string, sanitized of course. It imparted a wonderful hint of coconut flavor that improved with age.

Offline Rylan

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
ah yes I was going to say why not toast it to A) bring out more flavor and B) toasting will pasteurize it so it will be safe to add to secondary.
looks like someone already figured it out!

Offline Kyral210

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Crocoduck Approves!
    • User Generated Design
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
God! Both sound so good! I would love a coconut porter, but I think Vanilla might be nicer...

modification