• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brettonmyces Lambicus and Old Ale

keithshead

Brewer
Reaction score
Hey,
I recently attempted a Scottish 80/ but because of a 'equipment flaw' it turned into a right cake and arse party. Anyway, managed to save it by turning it into an Old Ale. As a second thought i bought an 11 litre glass carboy and some Brettonmyces Lambicus and after a few weeks in the fermenter i transferred it into the carboy, chucked in the Brett then purged it with CO2 before sealing with a bung and airlock. It has now been sitting peacefully in a dark corner of the garage for a few days (no activity).

Question; what can i expect here? i know it needs to be left at least six months and it may form some gunk on top. It is a very dark beer, highly hopped and fermented with Wyeast Scottish Ale. Its OG was 1072 and FG of 1.018. How far can i expect the gravity to go down with the brett?

Any ideas?

Honestly the Gravity could go down all the way to 1.001 don't be surprised if it goes even lower .
As for a show ... You are not going to see much of anything.
Every three months get a gravity reading see where it is once your to the point where you feel its at its lowest point wait 3 more months see where its at .
If its the same then take 1/2 a pack of champagne yeast and add it straight to the carboy let it sit for 2 days then get ready to bottle and add your priming sugar .
this will be for conditioning only .
I have had a Muscadine Belgium I did with white labs Golden Belgium yeast . then transfered it onto Brett C and it will sit till oct (that will be one year). I have had a few issues via temp change and pressure taking the airlock water and sucking it into the batch . I have seen a bit of funk on top . But not mold ... Also note that all the equipment that you use is now your sour equipment . Do not use it for any other batches ever so know with in the year your going to get new equipment to replace what your about to ruin .... 
Which isnt a problem because now you have a sour / funk batch kit at all times which is great if you love wild yeast or bacteria brews .... I would love to do a trade when its done let me know ... and good luck .
also remember that I like positive karma and not bad . and some fuck hole out there doesnt like the truth and gives me bad points I would like that we change that .. please and thank you ... 

Cheers mate! I will endeavour to follow your advice to the letter... in three months. So no airlock activity? Does the yeast not produce CO2?

Brett works very slow. I suggest listening to the most recent beersmith podcast. It covers this topic and might give you some insight on what to expect. Brett might need to sit a year or more before working its full magic. Good luck!

Back