• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch sparge steps missing

Hankisanerd

Apprentice
Reaction score
I chose a Mash profile of "Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge." In the sparge window it saids "Batch sparge with 0 steps () of 168.0 F water" There is no other info. It worked in 1.4 is it broke here??

I would also like to chime in on the batch sparge section...

I set for single infusion, medium body batch sparge and checked the equal size batches box, but come up with a 2 step unequal size sparge in the brew steps report (.7 gal, 3.4 gal).

Am I missing something about how that should work?

Bannonb

Hi,
  The unequal batch sizes are actually correct.  What the program does is try to equal the "runnings" and not the sparge water added.  Since for the first step you already have a substantial amount of water in the tun, only a bit is needed to get a full running from the sparge.  In the second step a larger amount of water is needed.

In a nutshell - its equalizing what's coming out of the mash tun not what's going in.

Brad

So in this case it might work to check the "Drain Mash Tun for Sparging" option? I think that's what I did to get the batch sparges to come out equal.

Back