• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Assertion Failed! - [File.\BData.cpp:2357 compiled Jun 23 2011]

BYOBKC

Apprentice
Reaction score
First error when attempting to access recipe folder=
Assertion Failed! - [File.\BData.cpp:2357 compiled Jun 23 2011]

I believe June 23 was my install date

*the software is unusable at this point for an unknown reason
*I have 300 recipes and I can't open the folder to access them. some how my 300 +/- recipes turned in to 544 (can't open to see if they are duplicates)

*wxWidgets Debug Alert
.\SLib.cpp(822): Assert "0" failed in SLib::SAssert().

Call stack:
[00] 0100EDA3
[01] FFEEFFEE
Do you want to stop the program?
You can also choose [Cancel] to supress further warnings.

I'm brewing this weekend and was really looking forward to test driving this baby out. Now I can't use it or the old 1.4 version.

I attempted to uninstall / reinstall.
did not resolve issue

update, I can import recipes again but and access them after doing so.

*still issue with accessing "NEW FOLDER" and the recipes within.

forces software shutdown can I remove this recipe folder?

How many recipes are included with the original Beersmith 2 install?

New Folder containing 172 recipes seems to be the source of my issues.

Hi,
 I've had one or two cases where someone has imported a large number of recipes and then had problems with them.  In the cases I've been able to debug, we've found that one or more of the BeerSmith 1 recipes had strange characters in them (non-printable characters in the notes section) - and this seems to be causing the crash.

The easiest way to break this down is to go to your BeerSmith 1 copies of the recipes, and then export a handful at a time and import them into BeerSmith 2.  You will likely find that only 1-2 recipes actually have an issue, and most likely they have some strange characters in the notes sections.

Brad

Thanks Brad for the quick response. I'll search for special characters.

How do I export a partial set of recipes?
*the issue seems to be with the default recipe folder and not my personal recipes. I haven't had issues accessing my custom recipes.

*Is there a way to recover the custom ingredient list? (is the new default list unique from the version 1 software?)

*Is there a way to recover my inventory. I spent hours going through and cataloging one day and would love to avoid that process again. I can't stress how much SWMBO loves it when I have hops all over the house.

I did manage to enter my recipe for this weekend with success. I need to watch some of your tutorials to get a better grasp of your changes now. It looks good though.

*It would be nice to add fly sparge as an option to the Mash. (I plan on looking in to the forum to see if it's available and it's just a matter of selecting say - one step mash, med body - and roll with it. With my herms I have a constant recirc, batch sparge, and then mash out. It's kind of tricky to figure out how I should set my defaults with that scenario.

I love the software even if I have some issues understanding why my inputs don't match the "can you brew it" specs (input grain but OG/SRM is different then expected with same efficiency. But maybe, I will figure that out later).

Thanks again Brad, Cheers.

~J

What are the special characters which can't be used?

I have commonly entered the degree symbol and wonder if that would be an issue?

°  (while holding alt, type 0176)

In BS1 highlight just that recipe that has the special character and export as a single recipe. Try importing that into BS2 and see if that causes an issue.

Also are you running the latest BS2 update. You probably are, just eliminating things.

Steve

I am getting this same error for BS 2.0 files.  I wanted to export all of my equipement, recipes, etcs to an offsite computer for backup purposes.  After exporting I emailed the files to the second PC and then back again.  The files work fine as long as you don't email them.  I guess I will just burn them to a CD.  Hopefully, BS can import those.

Mark

Back