• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Suggestion for next Round

M

Mark Robinson

Hi Brad,
Thanks for the new version, the upgrade went smooth.
Particularly kudos for integrating scrolling within the recipe page. It was one of the most frustraiting things for me about the earlier version,  and the change was completely natural, it was there when I went to use it, no need to think about it. Great!

A missing feature that I think is really important is control of placement of the data files. This program sells to the technophillic brewer. That type has a computer crash on a serious scale every year or so with terrible loss of data, either due to new software, or a hardware failure, or their children,or a virus. Many I expect , certainly myself keep their data separate from the  system disk at all times. The use of "my documents" or worse in the beersmith directory is  a recipe for loss of  lot of accumulated work.

So I would suggest that the program offer the choice of default placement of the data files. That way when my system disk gets trashed I can reload the system from my backup without having to try to extract my bsm files from a trashed partition, because they are safe elswhere, as I am about to do for the third time this year.( I exported the data to protect it, but each program? I always miss something)

best Mark

Mark,
 I can certainly see the wisdom of your suggestion.  That's why the program keeps multiple backups of data (see the Recover command) for each and every table automatically.

In the meantime, you can also use the "Export As" command from the main File menu to periocially make a backup.  If you do this from the "My Recipes" level, it will export all of your recipes at once, and you can save this anywhere you like.

Finally - you can periodically backup the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory if you use some kind of backup software.

Cheers!
Brad

Back