• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Any Diabetics Out There??

pcdiver

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
One of my best friends occasionally visits when we brew, but just cannot seem to bring himself to indulge in our brew due to his diabetes.

I have read in several pubs of brewers using artificial sweeteners AT BOTTLING/KEGGING. (BYO in particular)

I tried to explain that the beer (Commercial Swill) he drinks DOES contain sugars, etc...oh well!  How do you explain it??  ::)

In a nut shell...Does anyone have a recipe for a "sugar free" recipe?  The old boy needs SOMETHING when he comes to visit!!  ;D

Print a copy of the recipe and show him the number of calories.  As long as he accounts for the calories he should be fine.

Fred

it's not the sugar thats the main problem, its the alc. content.  Alc breakes down to sugar in the blood raising you blood sugar level.  I'm a "mild" diabetic so if I watch what I drink during the day I can have a pint of God's good home brew at night  ;D

My wife is a diabetic.  The thing diabetics have to worry about when drinking beer is, the alcohol can cause the blood sugar to crash a couple hours after they stop drinking.  I know it sounds strange but it's happened to my wife.  A diabtic has to be carfull not to take too much insulin when looking at the carbs in the beer.

Type II diabetics are not supposed to drink anything more than red wine. So your friend is not "not indulging" he preventing himself from having to go on dialisys.

Don't push a diabetic into drinking.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

I am type II diabetic and have been since 1989.  I check blood sugar minimum 3 times day and inject insulin minimum of 4 times day also.  I indulge some.  I have just started brewing and just to let you all know, alcohol drops blood sugar and then 12 hrs or so later the carbs that you have consumed shoots it up when you least expect it.  I have maintained very tight control of my diabetes ever since i have had it.  I don't drink heavy but i indulge in a brew or two or some homemade wine on occasion.  The thing that hurts all diabetics with brew is the carbo's.  Just be aware of the carbo's you are consuming and adjust insulin accordingly.  Don't get drunk on your brew or you will hurt yourself, but watch your carbs and you can have some.  Of course everyone is different, but we all should know our own bodies anyway.  one dumb question about one of the posts, why would 6 oz red wine at 15% alcohol be any different than 12 oz beer at 4 % alcohol for a diabetic???  
Micheal

Let's look at this,  6 oz of 15% is twice (close enough)the alcohol of 12 oz of 4%.  Beer generally has more residual sugars than wine, both vary depending on style and batch of beer/wine.

Dry wine generally ferments to below 1.000 while beer ferments to 1.015 (depending on style and strength).  The difference is non-fermentable and very digestable sugars.  

But alcohol is a carbohydrate.  The key is to be aware of what you are drinking.

Fred

My brother is diabetic, his doctor told him he could drink Stag beer.  Can anyone tell me why this is?
I know I'm leaving this open for smart remarks, but I would really like to know what  the difference is about Stag Vs. others.

That is odd.  I drank Stag when I growing up in Oklahoma and while others were all into Coors and other popular brands, I loved the taste of Stag.  If I remember correctly it was more bitter and drier than most.  Of course by getting it in Oklahoma, it was not over 3.2% alcholol.  Sure would like a recipe for it.

Stay tuned,

I just discovered that I am a diabetic.  While I don't over indulge, I definately enjoy indulging.

Fred

I found out I am a diabetic a couple months ago, Doc told me I can drink a few beers every day if I like but just a few. We are brewing a 4.5% ale this weekend when its done in the secondary I am going to drop a couple of beano tablets in to get it as low as I can. I read a couple articales about light beers and from what I see the closer it is to water the better.

The best any diabetic can do is test and test often.  We all will react (Blood sugar wise) differently. 

Try this link http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/alcohol.jsp

here is a bit from the start.

Start by asking yourself three basic questions:

Is my diabetes under control?
Does my health care provider agree that I am free from health problems that alcohol can make worse-for example, diabetic nerve damage or high blood pressure?
Do I know how alcohol can affect me and my diabetes?

If you said "yes" to all three, it's OK to have an occasional drink. But what does occasional mean? The American Diabetes Association suggests that you have no more than two drinks a day if you are a man and no more than one drink a day if you are a woman. This recommendation is the same for people without diabetes.

Fred

Fred

Back