• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Blow off tube?

HikeNC

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a Scottish light ale and plan on keeping it in a small wine cooler to keep the primary fermentation at  60 F.  I'm keeping the abv low along with a low attenuation yeast.  Would I be okay just using a airlock?  I won't have room for a blow off tube inside the cooler. 

Thanks

HikeNC,
          Forget the blowoff tube. Get some of this stuff FermCap here is a link http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/fermcap-s-1-oz.html  I use this in the boil and the primary. It breaks up or keeps bubbles from forming causing an explosion. I have not had a (Clean-up situation?) since. It drops out of suspension before bottling. Good luck!

A lot depends on how full your fermenter is.  I seem fill my carboy pretty full and even the lighter beers foam to the top.  If I get 5g wort in my 6g carboy and have a 1.040 beer, I usually just put aluminum foil over the top. Properly sanitized of course.

Back