• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about liquid California Ale V yeast

KJlive

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am still fairly new to home brewing. (I have brewed about 6 batches to date). I used a recipe that replicates Dog Fish 60. The recommended yeast was not available at my beer supply store. They recommended the liquid California Ale V yeast. I brewed on the morning of July 4th. As of this morning (7/6), I am not seeing any bubbling in the airlock. Is there a problem? Could the visible fermentation take longer? Am I being too impatient??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The temp is about 68 to 70 degrees.

KJlive,

A few simple suggestions. Re-check your seal on the primary. Air leaks are common. Look for the fermentation (residue?) on top of your wort. Your temperature seems OK for most yeasts. Was your wort too hot or too cold at pitching? To hot will kill it. To cold will shock it! Was there enough oxygen and nutrients for proper fermentation? Last, is the type of yeast a fast starter or a slow starter? Some yeasts naturally start slowly. You might have a combination of all of these? Good luck!

I think my wort was in the high 70's when I added the yeast. I had my bucket in a sink of ice water until it cooled. My thermometer doesn't register below 100%. How hot would kill the yeast? Checked the lid. The seal seems fine. I may need to call my beer store to determine if the yeast was a fast or slow starter. Thank you very much. I really appreciate the advice.

I used this one once for a brown ale with no starter and it took a few days to start. Did you use a starter or just pitch a vial into 5 gallons of wort? Did you warm the yeast in your pocket for a few hours before pitching or was the yeast still cold? If there was a big temp difference between the wort and the yeast vial you may have caused thermal shock which can shock/kill the yeast. Also did you check the use by date? This will give you an idea of viability.

Thank for the advice. It actually started going crazy yesterday! I took 3 days. I had just added the vial of yeast. No starter.

Yeah Ive had a few that had me worried but you just need to rhahb! Hope it turns out as you hoped. Or hopped lol!

Back