• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is every body using for fermenters?

brewnut

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm just curious what guys are using for fermenters once you break the 10-12 gallon volume. I built a conical out of a plastic tank I bought on line for 50 bucks. Works great. I might build another.

brewnut,

Pictures please! Where did you get the plastic tank? I just use 6 gallon buckets from my LHBS. I may want to ferment 10 gallon batches!

Tracker Co. sells plastic vessels for almost any size all the way up to commercial vol.

I got it from the tank depot on line. It's a Norwesco. I misspoke about the price, it was 65 bucks, not 50. The only thing that was a surprise was that the lid isn't air tight, it has a two way breather opening. It was explained to me that it was so that people wouldn't lock the lid down tight and burst the container trying to ferment. The outgassing from fermentation keeps all the bad bacteria out. I have brewed many batches in it, and it works great. I will be happy to post a picture as soon as I can figure out how.

Beercheer, I just can't figure out how to post a picture in the chat room here. If you go to the Tankdepot.com and look for the biodiesel tanks, you'll find the ones that are recommended for wine and beer. The only alteration that I made was to add a bulkhead fitting at around the 1.5 gallon mark. The nipple on the end of the fitting ends at around the 2 gallon mark, so that I can take samples above the yeast cake. The 2 inch fitting on the bottom I plugged, as no matter what fitting I put in there, the yeast plugs it up in a day or two. Let me just say up front that the manufacturer does not recommend putting a fitting through the cone, but I've had no trouble.
I made the stand out of a piece of 3/4 plywood with a hole cut just big enough that the cone fits through, and used a piece of pipe insulation to cushion the tank from the edge of the plywood. The legs can be made of wood, or whatever you like. I used 3/4 inch steel pipe, because I use that a lot at work. It works very well, and I've had 12 gallon batches in there, with enough head space for the foam. I think when I was all done, the whole thing was under a hundred bucks. Not as pretty as a Blichmann, but a bit cheaper.

But I wanted to know what everybody else uses.

I got sick of sick of carboys I just got one of these beasts.

http://brewhemoth.com/catalog/1

cheers

I have to say that is probably one of the most poorly developed websites I have ever seen. I could not find a single page with any details on their products. You'd have to make a few phone calls and have a lot of faith. Maybe you could give more details Sickbrew? ... quality ... welds (if any) ... legs? ... size ....??

Right now I ferment 10 gallons in 2 plastic buckets and generally transfer to secondary glass carboys. This system fits nicely in a refrigerator my son and I keep just for fermenting. I'd love to eventually find an affordable one container solution.

Bruce

I use a 15 gallon conical from Stout Tanks & Kettles. http://conical-fermenter.com/ It was 1/2 the price of the Blichmann conicals and comes with tri-clamps by default. Also has a temperature probe. Very happy with the purchase and am thinking about getting another. I still use my 6.5 gallon glass carboys as well.

I am considering the Minimash 15 gallon fermenter, it is expensive for plastice but looks ideal

sorry, that should be minibrew  (http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/MiniBrew_15_Gallon_Conical_Fermenter.html)

We've been doing it in 6.5 gallon glass carboys. Got a hold of a sanke and cut a 8 inch hole in the top, (or whatever you need to fit your lid). Got a 1 x 1 foot piece of food grade rubber sheet, cut a hole in it for airlock. Use it as a gasket put your lid on top of that with a hole sized to whatever bung you're using. You can wedge two appropriate pieces of wood between the lid and under the fold at the top of the sanke. Works GREAT and cleans up in two minutes. We're really are happy with this setup.
Simie

Back