• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge water amount

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Brad, how is this calculated?  In the past I always calculate sparge water by using 1 1/2 times that of the mash water.  So, if I have 4 lbs of grain and I use 1.25 quarts/lb I would mash in with 5 quarts of water and would fly sparge with 7.5 quarts.

I'm getting inconsistent results in the mash tab.  With 1.3 quarts/lb it says to sparge with 2.71 gallons of water.  If I change it to 1.5 quarts/lb sparge water drops to 2.51 gallons.

Thanks.

Mark

I don't know the formula used, but that makes some sense.  If you add it "early" in the MLT, you need less from the HLT to reach desired boil volume. 

If you changed ratios from 1.25 to 1.50, would you still use 1.5X in the sparge calculation?

With 4#, that change would equate to an extra quart in the mash tun already, so logically you may need less sparge water before you hit your boil volume. 

Maybe the formula tries to leave the MLT nearly dry just as you hit the boil volume?

Okay, it does make sense I think.  I was told initially to take 3/2 of mash water to get your sparge water.  I see that BS takes mash water plus top off water and then subtracts that from total water needed.  I think I'm happy.  I just need to change what I was expecting to get for a volume before top-off water and also refigure expected OG of the wort from after sparge.

Thanks!

Mark

Back